• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Segregated housing: what are your thoughts?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 281 Replies
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/06/calif-university-latest-to-establish-black-only-housing.html

Calif. university latest to establish 'black-only' housing
Published September 06, 2016

A California university is the latest public school of higher education to establish “black-only” co-ed housing in response to demands from African-American students seeking refuge from what they consider insensitive remarks and “microaggressions” from their white classmates.

California State University Los Angeles established the segregated housing for black students in time for the current school year, according to The College Fix. The school complied with demands issued nine months ago by the university’s Black Student Union.

“[It] would provide a cheaper alternative housing solution for Black students,” read one of the union’s demands. “This space would also serve as a safe space for [black students] to congregate, connect, and learn from each other.”

The newly debuted Halisi Scholars Black Living-Learning Community “focuses on academic excellence and learning experiences that are inclusive and non-discriminatory,” Cal State LA spokesman Robert Lopez told The College Fix.

University of Connecticut and UC Davis and Berkeley also offer black-only housing. In February, FoxNews.com reported that UConn’s main campus in Storrs launched a program slated for fall in which 40 black male undergraduates live together in on-campus housing.

Proponents believe the students can draw on their common experiences to support one another. Critics cringe at the idea of black-only housing, saying it turns decades of hard-fought racial progress on its head.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma2mms
by Kristin on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:08 PM
8 moms liked this
I don't know. I think it's a step in the wrong direction.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't have time to read full article but heard a blurb about this earlier. Just seems like a step back to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I get it. I can understand not wanting to deal with ignorance nonstop. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:10 PM
5 moms liked this
I'm trying to understand the other side, but, IMO I feel this further causes divides and impedes us from moving forward.

Quoting momma2mms: I don't know. I think it's a step in the wrong direction.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Moving backwards isn't a good idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Sad. It only perpetuates the negativity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

this is ridiculous.

JDsWifey
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:11 PM
16 moms liked this
That seems to defeat one of the fringe purposes of college. I wouldn't want to go somewhere only to be around people who look like me. College is supposed to be a time during which you gain a broader view of the world as well as obtain an education.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
The people who would want to be segregated should be allowed to do so. Otherwise their hatred for anyone different from them could cause more issues. Unfortunately by that age they're stuck in their beliefs.
mischele
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:12 PM
3 moms liked this
Does this school provide other races their only type housing?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)