• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting in trouble for tics/stims

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 85 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son has a medical dx of autism but no school dx (doesn't need or qualify for iep). He has had tics since age 4 and he's 8 now. No dx for those but it's in his charts. Now that he's 8, I don't know what's a stim and what's a tic. I talked to his teacher before school letting her know that he claps and can't help it. Well this is the second time he's gotten in trouble for clapping. I emailed her and just waiting on the response.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:43 PM
3 moms liked this
You say he doesn't need or qualify for an iep, but he does for both.

He qualifies bc of the diagnosis, and needs it so he won't get in trouble for what he can't control.

My dd has ASD. She is very smart, but needs the support her iep helps her get.
mama_danetta
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:45 PM
Obviously he does need an IEP.
chinosruca
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:46 PM
How does he not qualify for an IEP? That really makes no sense at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:47 PM
Can he honestly not help himself or is he just being a little douche?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:47 PM
If your snowflake can't participate in class without disturbing everyone else, then they should be getting in trouble.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:49 PM

When was the last time that he was seen by a developmentalist? They could get it in his records but also help you be able to help him with this behavior. There is a lot that can't be helped when any kid gets excited but more so for kids with Autism, or other conditions. Also he may need to have an IEP so that he won't get into trouble for what he can't control. Also he may actually qualify for a service in school that would help him learn calming techniques and such. My girl uses what she calls a squishy, she is 12 and it is just a little pillow shaped soft thing with a clip on it to hang it from a backpack. She uses that when she is really overwhelmed and for a long time she didn't need it but she just started taking it with her everywhere especially to school because she just started 7th grade and is in a huge new school, new people, and it is overwhelming her and will for about a month then squishy will probably stay home after that. 

Good Luck. btw she doesn't have Autism so I could be totally wrong but I believe that seeing a developmentalist would be a good thing now that he is getting older. Being punished for what he can't control won't do him any good and only frustrate him which in turn can make the issue even worse for everyone.

mischele
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:52 PM
In the schools we been to in Kansas , Alaska, North Carolina and Colorado he would qualify for iep
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this
He needs an IEP or you need to accept he's legitimately in trouble.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:54 PM
He sounds like an annoying little douche. Clapping? Really? He should be in a special class.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:55 PM
I'm sure that makes learning fun for the other poor kids in class.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)