• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it ever considered mean to clean?!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:58 PM
  • 27 Replies
I'm a sahm of 5 kiddos (4 in school f/t and dd3 at home). I care for my toddler and baby nephews during the day.

According to some of you mc momma's standards, my place is in no way spotless. There is occasionally clutter here and there, toys are allowed in the living room, I only wash my windows and walls once every 6 months (spot wash in between), sweep daily (multiple times) and wash the floors 1-3 times per week depending on the messes. I dust 2-3 times per week. Tables/counters are cleaned after use. Always. And sometimes between uses, if need be. Bathrooms are sanitized and scrubbed weekly with spot cleaning daily. I declutter surfaces whenever I know we will be entertaining. I figure this is all pretty normal, right?!

According to DH, this is all too much. And I'm a bitch for keeping our home tidy. Why?

His sister is working, going to school, and doing the lions share of raising her kids. She's mentioned that her housework is piling up.

My best friend and her husband come over to hang out sometimes. Bff's DH has ripped at her that our home is what a home should look like.

Our babysitters seem to struggle with keeping our house clean. (Although I've never told anyone to keep the house clean).

DH thinks it's a 'bitch move' to continue with my routine as is. He says our home makes other moms feel badly. He thinks it's insane for me to expect to go to bed every night In a tidy house. We have 5 kids plus two babies during the day, after all.

I was honestly dumbfounded. Does my DH have a point? Would YOU change your practices? (Honestly, I will not)
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaelee1
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:00 PM

I don't understand the problem.  Does he think you should be doing something else?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:01 PM
Wow.

I have a company ready house, but my kids are grown. I TRIED to keep it like that when they were here, but I also worked full time and it didn't happen. I am sooo jealous of you, lol! I wouldn't give up my clean house for someone else's feelings! It makes me feel so much better when things are tidy.
KTU
by Kim on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:03 PM
If you don't have a problem with it, then he should stop worrying about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:04 PM
If you can clean then I say do it.
I am able to have a clean house and I will go to bed with it clean every night. So what if others can't do what you do. It's not anyone's business either way.
MyAdventureX3
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:04 PM

I dont understand why he would be upset. You are taking care of your home. 

livyla
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:05 PM
Ignore him... It doesn't sound extreme anyway.
loridori4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:06 PM

If the kids are happy, and you are ENJOYING your day with them and being a mom, then who is being hurt here? 

I see a lot of young moms that sit on their butts all day staring at their phone, and ignoring their home and kids. Sounds like you are not just cleaning, but staying on top of things and aware of whats going on with the kids. 

Seems like your hubby would respect and appreciate how productive your day is. 

kookiered79
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:06 PM
What??? So your husband is bitching because you keep your home clean? He's insane. I can't stand my home being a mess. My DH and I both work full time and I recently graduated from Cleese and have three kids and my home is clean.
ms_amanda
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:07 PM
Apparently my home makes the ladies in our lives feel badly. He thinks I should calm down on the housecleaning and not declutter for company. He calls me insane for washing walls bi yearly.

Whatever. I do not spend that much time cleaning though so I don't understand what his issue is. It's not like I'm ocd germaphobic or anything. It's all pretty normal, if you ask me.

Quoting Kaelee1:

I don't understand the problem.  Does he think you should be doing something else?

MrsDukati
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:08 PM
You do you. I don't clean like you because quite frankly, I don't want to. But if it's not taking away excessive amounts of time from your kids or other responsibilities, then you're fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)