Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I didn't realize this stuff happened for real.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

I teach 8th grade history.  I have a student who transferred from another state.   He can't read.  I mean. He can read but he doesn't read well.   He certainly isn't where he needs to be.  He can't spell either.  He doesn't retain information at all.  I am not sure how he made it to 8th grade and still has straight As on his transcript.  He is a mammoth of a boy and plays football. He has been in my class for two and a half weeks and hasn't turned in one assignment that was complete.  

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CLA25233
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this
That's sad. I bet he has a lot going on at home.

For what it's worth I didn't learn to read well out loud until I had my own kids and did it for hours daily. But I could read like the wind to myself. It just sucked in class. And I still can't spell.
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:53 PM
Sad.
SmurfGoneBad
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:55 PM
10 moms liked this

He plays football...that right there is the answer to your question.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:56 PM

This isn't even reading out loud.  The kids had to write a paragraph about themselves.  Then everyone had to read four others and write down one thing they found interesting.  His paragraph looks like it was written by a second grader.  Another student came to me and told me he was asking for help with the other paragraphs he has to read.  

I have a be a call out to his parents so we can meet with the counselor  

Quoting CLA25233: That's sad. I bet he has a lot going on at home. For what it's worth I didn't learn to read well out loud until I had my own kids and did it for hours daily. But I could read like the wind to myself. It just sucked in class. And I still can't spell.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Did he transfer from Texas? Texas is big on football, no so big on education. Sure, they pay lip service, but in reality, schools make sure football fields are maintained and improved regularly, while educational equipment or other needs are neglected.
Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:57 PM

Probably a case of teachers going easy on him just to push him through and keep him playing football.  Those who do that are doing the kid a huge disservice.

bleumonster
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:57 PM
He's big and plays football. You have your answer.
grey7399
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:58 PM
If he's a football hero, you're gonna have a fight on your hands

Quoting Anonymous 1:

This isn't even reading out loud.  The kids had to write a paragraph about themselves.  Then everyone had to read four others and write down one thing they found interesting.  His paragraph looks like it was written by a second grader.  Another student came to me and told me he was asking for help with the other paragraphs he has to read.  

I have a be a call out to his parents so we can meet with the counselor  

Quoting CLA25233: That's sad. I bet he has a lot going on at home.

For what it's worth I didn't learn to read well out loud until I had my own kids and did it for hours daily. But I could read like the wind to myself. It just sucked in class. And I still can't spell.

zeenah
by Zarah on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:59 PM
My niece was in 9th reading at a second grade level. She was getting B in class though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:59 PM

He moved to Texas.  He was in Missouri  

Quoting Anonymous 3: Did he transfer from Texas? Texas is big on football, no so big on education. Sure, they pay lip service, but in reality, schools make sure football fields are maintained and improved regularly, while educational equipment or other needs are neglected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)