Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No, I didn't monitor your 15 y/o the entire time

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 105 Replies

Dd had her friend over for a sleepover. Both girls are 15. I made them dinner and otherwise stayed out of their way. I don't feel the need to intervene, organize things for them to do, or stay on top of them.... I feel they're definitely old enough now that they can just do their own thing, which is how I've been doing sleepovers for a while now, and have had no issues with it.

Anyways so they ended up watching some episodes of "Orange is the New Black" (for anyone who is unfamiliar with this show, there is quite a bit of swearing and nudity). Now the mom is not happy with me for 'allowing' them to watch the show because she's not comfortable with her dd watching it. Okay I can understand that but her dd never mentioned to mine that she wasn't allowed to watch it, nor did the mom let me know beforehand that she was uncomfortable with her dd watching certain material. How was I supposed to know this wasn't ok with her? Is this the norm that I'm supposed to monitor what they're doing at all times and ban certain shows, and I'm just too lenient with my kid? Or is she just being silly? I honestly don't know what to think. I had no idea it would be a problem.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:05 PM
11 moms liked this
Many people wouldn't let their 15yo watch that show. She probably just took for granted that you didn't allow your child to watch it.
SusanIsHere
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:06 PM
I let the 3 teens ride carnival rides while I sat in the warm food tent. The other moms won't let their kids come around. Usually I am called helimom
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

She is being silly. Teenagers don't need to be monitered like toddlers.

MrsDukati
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Unless otherwise stated, I'd assume anything I let my kids watch/do would be appropriate for their friends to do when they're in our house. If her child wasn't allowed to watch that, she should have said something to your DD, or not said something to her mom about watching it.

Either way, 15 is too old to be putting the blame on other people when your kid breaks a rule, and I'd tell them mom as much.
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh FFS. The mother is insane. Her daughter is 15 not 5. 

motherslove82
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:09 PM

I can't imagine anyone being comfortable with their 15-year-old watching that show. I would have been unhappy with all of them.

Northern.Maple
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Some parents believe in censorship. I on the other hand do not really monitor what my teen watches - same age as yours. Its not a big deal but I know what my kids friends are allowed to and not allowed to do, my dd shares things with me, I usually have her friends call home, dd shares everything with me

quinnhenrysmom1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:16 PM

when you let your child go to someones house,its under the assumption that they will only watch 'appropriate shows or movies..oitnb is kind of rique..its one thing if id let them watch it but anoter parent should have more sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:23 PM
6 moms liked this

I personally don't think that show is appropriate for a 15yr old. However, at 15 that's a conversation she should be having with her daughter, not you. That being said, I watched all kinds of stuff my parents didn't allow at sleepovers. To a certain extent sleepovers are a bit of a free for all in general, IMO. 

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:25 PM
I would have not been happy either. I don't think that's age appropriate. I think part of your job as a host is to and sure it's ok with the other child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)