Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is MY food... Back off!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:39 AM
  • 21 Replies

I would never ever deny food to my kids or dh. Especially healthy stuff. But I keep having an issue with them eating my diet food. Its driving  me crazy.

I buy plenty of healthy foods, fresh veggies, lean meats and they sit in the fridge and go to waste half the time. I buy raw carrots and broccoli just for kicks and they sit until I eat them. I buy the lean chicken breasts and bake them with healthy sides like fresh green beans and the food sits on the stove because no one is "hungry" or they dont want it and would rather have something else.

But when I decide i want to go on a diet and budget out specifically to get extra healthy stuff for myself and meal plan them, my family pounces on it before I even get to put it in the fridge after the grocery store. I dont get it.

Why, on any other day, when I make a veggie platter or a lean healthy dinner, not a single person in my house is interested. But the minute they see me putting raw veggies in containers and making portion controlled freezer meals, they magically want to eat it.

Last night I went food shopping and bought a bunch of fresh fruits for the kids and also the stuff they like like spaghetti-o's and soups, chicken nuggets and hot dogs, fruit snacks, cereal.. etc, etc.

I specifically budgeted out to get myself a head of fresh broccoli, cauliflower (which everyone tells me is disgusting) some baby carrots and ranch, the lean chicken that they never eat, frozen green beans and steel cut oat meal (i got them the regular mixed fruits box oatmeal)...

Soon as I start putting my food in containers for the week i get "oooh can i have some.." or dh goes in the oven and steals my chicken breasts that are like barely seasoned (i just put a little olive oil, salt and pepper & onion powder) so I have to start over and make new breasts for work...

Seriously, if they want to diet with me.. no problem. I am more than happy to spend the extra money and get all diet food for the whole damn family.. but dont eat all my diet food then sit down and eat a cheese danish and a corn dog. BACK OFF MY FOOD DAMN IT!!! Even my soda waters arent safe.

Same thing with my lactose free milk. I cant have regular milk.. it makes my intestines a very special kind of angry. I buy regular milk for the family and a 1/2 gallon lactose free milk because I would like to have milk some times damn it.... What happens, I go to bed and think I will have a bowl of cereal in the morning, I open the fridge and there's a whole gallon of regular milk sitting there, but my lactose free carton is almost empty.

It is infuriating!

by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:41 AM

It's because it's all prepared.

RainbowEater
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:43 AM
You guys should all be eating the same healthy foods all the time. It's a lifestyle choice not a diet. "Diets" have been proven ineffective time and time again
nmkj
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Fruits and veggies get wasted in my house too if I don't wash, cut, and portion them as soon as I get home. The kids are more likely to help themselves to it then. Why do you think precut stuff at the grocery store is more expensive? You're paying for the convenience. Have them go to the store with you and pick out what kinds they want and then portion it together.
AbbyWalsh
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:43 AM

They're being pretty clear that they'd rather have the healthier food.  WHY are you buying cheese danish and corn dogs in the first place?  Just buy the healthy food for everyone.  

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:46 AM
So buy healthy food for everyone. Period.

What is "lean chicken"?
2lilanklebiters
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:50 AM

Thats the thing.. I buy all the healthy foods.. I make the healthy meals and no one fricken wants. Do you know how many dinners have gone to waste because I made them no different then how i prepared the stuff i make for work but no one was in the mood for it. Do you know how many cut and peeled veggie platters I have made and no one but me eats them... I offer, they turn their nose up at it. Do you know how much fresh fruits and veggies I have in my fridge right now that I bought specifically for the kids and dh. Grapes and apples, clerey and oranges, lettuce.. i didnt even even meal plan salads this week. I just had to throw out the last head of lettuce I bought because it went bad, still I bought more and put it in the fridge so dh can have the salads he likes. But its like the minute I decide to portion things out for myself, magically everyone wants it.

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

They're being pretty clear that they'd rather have the healthier food.  WHY are you buying cheese danish and corn dogs in the first place?  Just buy the healthy food for everyone.  

jcm3
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:51 AM
All these ppl are right
PJMM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:52 AM
Maybe portion out some for them as well. I understand what you're saying though.

Quoting 2lilanklebiters:

Thats the thing.. I buy all the healthy foods.. I make the healthy meals and no one fricken wants. Do you know how many dinners have gone to waste because I made them no different then how i prepared the stuff i make for work but no one was in the mood for it. Do you know how many cut and peeled veggie platters I have made and no one but me eats them... I offer, they turn their nose up at it. Do you know how much fresh fruits and veggies I have in my fridge right now that I bought specifically for the kids and dh. Grapes and apples, clerey and oranges, lettuce.. i didnt even even meal plan salads this week. I just had to throw out the last head of lettuce I bought because it went bad, still I bought more and put it in the fridge so dh can have the salads he likes. But its like the minute I decide to portion things out for myself, magically everyone wants it.

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:53 AM
Make your food and freeze it when they aren't home
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
So portion them out for everybody. Then there will be enough for everyone and your family will be eating healthy

Quoting 2lilanklebiters:

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)