Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't wait to be a grandma!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
Not yet. My oldest is only 13. Lol

My mom doesn't take the kids much. Only to church and only the ones that want to go. Once in a while she'll take one of the kids and spend the day and bring them home. Like, once a year with each of them. Asking her to babysit is...let's just say we don't ask unless it's an emergency. She's very adamant that just because she lives alone doesn't mean she doesn't have things to do. Which is her laundry on sundays and sitting at home. That's fine, she's not obligated to babysit or take the kids, that's not what I'm saying. I'm not upset about it. DH's mom will babysit when she's not mad at dh about something or unless nothing better has come up. Also fine, she's not obligated either. But then she complains that she doesn't get to spend time with them. Lol

I see my friend's parents and they're so involved. They take the kids camping on weekends or call and ask to keep them for a day or two just because. They show up at all the school things. I can't wait to have grandkids and do that kind of thing. I have kids now and we do those things of course. And it's fun. It's also a lot of work lol I want to be able to give my kids a break from parenthood sometimes. I don't expect anyone to do that for me, but it honestly would be nice. I want my grandkids to be close with each other and remember spending weekends together at our house and having fun. I want them to remember us being there to see their school awards day or whatever else. I had that growing up, my grandma was the best! I wish my kids had that kind of grandma. I can't wait to be one!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Missdameanor
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:50 AM
I can't wait either. I'm going to have so much fun! :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:52 AM
I never had very involved grandparents so I plan on being involved.
lovebugs_mom906
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:52 AM
We're lucky, both our parents are involved in our kids' lives. More my inlaws, but my parents are happy to babysit most any time. I know I'll be the same way 😊
mrsary
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Me too, but my eldest is only 11. lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes!! We can have all the fun and then give them back for discipline. Lol

I remember my grandma talking to me about life and why I should or shouldn't do things. She never punished me. Of course my parents did, parents have to. I can't spoil my kids, I'm trying to raise people. Lol You can spoil grandkids, though!

Quoting Missdameanor: I can't wait either. I'm going to have so much fun! :)
kookiered79
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:57 AM
I am lucky my parents are involved in my children's lives. I missed that growing up and it means the world to me that my children know their grandparents. Your family is the one missing out. Like my mom says, they don't get all the time in the world with them so they take every opportunity to see them. I also cannot wait to be a grandparent, although it's going to be a long time before that happens!
LClark1973
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Not everyone is the same. My mother in law babysets for my sister, and brother in law, never for us. My momdoes, but she is more involved with our kids. We don't leave our kids often though.

It is a shame, but it is what it is. I do understand the disappointment though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 10:00 AM
That's awesome! The only parent I have that would happily babysit or take them all the time is my stepmom. She lives 3 hours away, though. And my dad has to be "ok" for her to take them. He's bipolar and stays in the bed most of the day and she works, so she can't leave them home with him all day. He loves them, he'd never hurt them or anything, but his "nerves can't take it".

Quoting lovebugs_mom906: We're lucky, both our parents are involved in our kids' lives. More my inlaws, but my parents are happy to babysit most any time. I know I'll be the same way 😊
Teeshann
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 10:00 AM
My sil is like that. She has campout in her yard with her grandkids.

Last night she came with us to the haunted forest with a couple of her grandkids. She has 12 grandkids and works and still manages one on one time with all of them.

I want to be like her and always have a grandkids with me. I want my grandchildren to want to come hang out at my house.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 10:03 AM

I'm a Grammie. Its the best job ever. LOL My grandbabies live 1,200 miles away. I do visit often and just love spending time with them. I will sit and play Barbies, dig for treasures in the sandbox, teach them to bake cookies and any other thing they want to do , all day long while I visit. I am blessed with a DIL , that enjoys my friendship. Meaning not only are we friends she loves me coming to visit. We try to spend a week or more together every 2/3 months. Thank God for facetime and being able to call them often.

My grandmom was a huge part of my life. She was very much mom to us. She used to spend 2 nights a week with us. I remember fighting with my siblings over who got to share the bed with her. She taugh us so much. Mostly how giving others your time is the best gift of all. She sewed a lot of our clothes, taught us to cook. She was a wonderful cook. Baking was her "thing" . She was an incredible woman. She taught us so many life lessons that we didnt realize we were learning at the time. If I am half the Grammie she was I wil be thrilled.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)