Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things for a 21 month old to do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

I've googled and am using this as a last resort since it's not really a "confession". 
I just need some ideas to keep my toddler busy and out of trouble. He is too dependent on the tv.
I can't really find any good info online and have used the ideas we already found. We live in an apartment so I'd like to keep them to indoor activities if possible since we don't have a yard to play in. I'm also terrified of bringing him out in public alone so again would like to keep to indoor ideas.

Right now, we do these things:  

Play with his toys
Play chase - I chase him then I let him chase me and we run around
We've tried coloring, he just throws the crayons on the floor
Same with water colors, he just tries to eat the paint brush :-/

I'm thinking about making some play dough but he hates to get his hands dirty so Idk how that will work out  

Any ideas are much appreciated! 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Anyone...? 

miamom20
by Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM
Slime is fun you can do finger painting just put the paint in a zip lock bag no mess all over his hands. Pinterest has tons of fun stuff to try out. You can also start teaching him colors, numbers, shapes, letters, animals they eat that stuff up also you can get chalk board or white boards he can color on or to help teach him all new stuff. Do singing time sing all the little kids songs Utube has ones you can learn to teach him with hand gestures.
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Finger painting on the kitchen floor with vanilla pudding tinted with food coloring.

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Big cardboard blocks are fun to play with.  He can build a fort with them, he can stack them and knock them down.  Take the kid outside to play.  Put a harness on him if he's a runner.  Read to him.  Read to him often.  You really cannot read to your child too much.  This is how he develops his language and vocabulary (also by just talking to him) and reading skills.  Take him to the local mall and let him run around in their toddler  'mosh pit' to burn off energy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM
Read him books
Take him on walks
Go to the park
Toys
Plastic mixing bowl
Wooden spoons
Big magnets on the fridge
Dance with him
Sit out in the yard while he explores

Let him explore his surroundings. You're setting both him and yourself up for a mess if you're already trying to keep him constantly entertained.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:39 AM

I just feel bad because he watches so much tv. He is pretty independent, like right now, he is sitting on the floor playing with his truck and watching tv. I don't want to just rely on tv to keep him happy. I feel like it's borderline neglectful to just let him watch tv all day 

I will try those ideas, thank you

Quoting Anonymous 2: Read him books Take him on walks Go to the park Toys Plastic mixing bowl Wooden spoons Big magnets on the fridge Dance with him Sit out in the yard while he explores Let him explore his surroundings. You're setting both him and yourself up for a mess if you're already trying to keep him constantly entertained.

muzzyh
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Kids don't need nonstop activities. Turn off the tv and see what happens. It's ok to see where things go with stimulus.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Thank you, I forgot about pinterest! 

Quoting miamom20: Slime is fun you can do finger painting just put the paint in a zip lock bag no mess all over his hands. Pinterest has tons of fun stuff to try out. You can also start teaching him colors, numbers, shapes, letters, animals they eat that stuff up also you can get chalk board or white boards he can color on or to help teach him all new stuff. Do singing time sing all the little kids songs Utube has ones you can learn to teach him with hand gestures.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:40 AM
Turn the tv off

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I just feel bad because he watches so much tv. He is pretty independent, like right now, he is sitting on the floor playing with his truck and watching tv. I don't want to just rely on tv to keep him happy. I feel like it's borderline neglectful to just let him watch tv all day 

I will try those ideas, thank you

Quoting Anonymous 2: Read him books
Take him on walks
Go to the park
Toys
Plastic mixing bowl
Wooden spoons
Big magnets on the fridge
Dance with him
Sit out in the yard while he explores

Let him explore his surroundings. You're setting both him and yourself up for a mess if you're already trying to keep him constantly entertained.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Great idea, thanks !

Quoting corticosteroid:

Finger painting on the kitchen floor with vanilla pudding tinted with food coloring.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)