Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stereotypes

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM
  • 11 Replies
What stereotype, positive or negative, do you feel doesn't describe you?

What effect do you think stereotypes can have one people?What stereotype, positive or negative, do you feel doesn't describe you?

What effect do you think stereotypes can have? Does age change the impact stereotypes can have? Does age change the impact stereotypes can have?
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Go.Luv.Yourself
by *Mamacita* on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:29 AM
I have a hearing loss since I was 2... Because of that,people automatically talk to me like I am "special". It is frustrating !
KiaJR
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM
I was a young teen mom, and don't fit the majority of the stereotypes associated with that.

People who know that fact, but don't actually know me, do make incorrect assumptions and have treated me differently because of it.
supermama322
by Kaylee on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:32 AM
I can't think of many stereotypes that might fit me right now. I am a recovering drug addict and alcoholic and have been told I don't seem like one, so maybe that?
bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:34 AM
I don't think I fit into any stereotype
I can't be boxed in
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:45 AM
I have had everything handed to me or life has been easy because I'm white.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:51 AM
Ooh, good one. I second this. I mean, I've never been discriminated against or treated unfairly because I'm a white girl.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have had everything handed to me or life has been easy because I'm white.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM
I have three kids ages 3,2 and 3 months. And I'm a young mom who is ruining her life by having all these kids so close in age (a nurse at the woman's hospital where I had my youngest told me this)

When in actuality I'm almost 30. I just get mistaken for being a lot younger because I'm short and petite and have good genes.
-White.Rabbit-
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:57 AM

The "teen mom" and "basic/white girl" don't fit me at all. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Stereotypes come from statistics. Old people drive slow? Statistics prove that. Teenage boys are more reckless, statistics can prove that too. Let's see here, I could get into cultures but I'll be torn apart. People from south are dumb, well statistically less do have college degrees. I could go on and on. Majoring in sociology all we did is play with statistics, we'd take a stereotype and turn into into a hypothesis then start looking for hard core facts,  numbers to back it up, therefore leading to a formal theory. 

Go ahead and attack me cause I dont agree with you from a numbers perspective. But six years of using hypotheticals and writing educated papers you start to see where most stereotypes come from. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 12:08 PM
You fit the helpless woman needing a man stereotype and many others.

Quoting bubbs0809: I don't think I fit into any stereotype
I can't be boxed in
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)