Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know this is early but...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

How does your family save during the holidays with gift shopping? My two oldest are now wanting things that are more expensive, what are your tricks to still giving them nice things without breaking the bank? 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2016 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Oct. 22, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Our first rule is no technology.. if they want it, they have to get it from their Grands as a gift or buy it themselves. Our 2nd is that we only do 4 gifts and a stocking. ( want, need, wear, read) It works well for our family, but I know it wouldn't work for other families. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

lovebugs_mom906
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 1:02 PM
We save year round. We have a separate account that we put $50-100 a paycheck into. Right now we have roughly $1800 save up for Christmas.
adp_3805
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Buy earlier in the year. Start saving earlier. Holidays are pretty consistent, coming at the same time every year. So if you put away a dollar or 2 every day starting the day after holidays then by the time they roll around again you've got plety saved up. 

razorbackfan
by BadgerMom on Oct. 22, 2016 at 1:05 PM
My kids will get one big gift together. Then they will get smaller gifts for themselves. This year though my son asked for drums and my daughter wants Twenty One Pilot tickets.
bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 1:05 PM
4 presents
No electronics
(Tablets, phones, video games)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 1:05 PM
My husband gets profit sharing in November which is typically $1000. That's our budget for our kids and nieces and nephews.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 1:08 PM

We set aside money from my paycheck everytime I get paid, plus use DH's bonus. I just don't want to start spending insane amounts of money and get my kids accustomed to it. For example, my 13yr old dd wants an iPad pro, Patagonia Jacket, FitBit, and a pair of Ugg Boots. Those are just the bigger items, she has smaller items on the list as well. Even with all the saving, it's near impossible to get everything on their lists. 

Quoting adp_3805:

Buy earlier in the year. Start saving earlier. Holidays are pretty consistent, coming at the same time every year. So if you put away a dollar or 2 every day starting the day after holidays then by the time they roll around again you've got plety saved up. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 1:10 PM
I start putting 50.00 per week back starting the 1st of Oct. By black Friday i will have almost 300 or 350 ideally. Then i get a 300 bonus the week of black Friday as well.

Christmas shopping is done.
adp_3805
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Well duh, you don't have to get them everything on their lists there's no need. Set a budget for yourselves and work with it. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

We set aside money from my paycheck everytime I get paid, plus use DH's bonus. I just don't want to start spending insane amounts of money and get my kids accustomed to it. For example, my 13yr old dd wants an iPad pro, Patagonia Jacket, FitBit, and a pair of Ugg Boots. Those are just the bigger items, she has smaller items on the list as well. Even with all the saving, it's near impossible to get everything on their lists. 

Quoting adp_3805:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 1:12 PM
No way in hell would she be getting all that. She's 13. It wont kill her to not get everything.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting adp_3805:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)