Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of the new screen time recommendations for little kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
I saw on CNN that the AAP screen time recommendations for 2017 are no more than an hour per day for ages 18 months-5 and zero before age eighteen months. Do you plan on following the new recommendations? Do you think they're realistic?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:34 PM
Seems very realistic to me.

I never worried about "screen time ". My kids are now 11,12 and 16 and i still don't put any thought into it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:35 PM
No we live I a cold climate and are stuck inside a lot. My two year old watches as much tv as he wants, and then he acts out the stories with his toys. He also makes up stories of his own for his toys to act out. I think it helps him come up with different ways to be imaginative. It is hard to entertain small children....what exactly do they want us to do with them all day? They grow tired of activities quickly and most need supervision
PrettyWings29
by Caribbean Queen on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:36 PM

We are trying to cut down on screen time. I started it today with my son. He didn't really seem to miss it. I missed it more than he did, lol. I like the background noise. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM
We use screens pretty minimally, but an hour a day isn't very much. That's not even a whole movie. Right now my kids only get two shows a day, but an hour still seems like not much.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: Seems very realistic to me.

I never worried about "screen time ". My kids are now 11,12 and 16 and i still don't put any thought into it.
EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM
I think if a parent is sensible then it's not going to do harm at any age.
SaskMummy
by Mandy on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:38 PM

IMO kids that get deprived of anything end up over induldging later in life, i agree with limiting screen time, but honetly my kids i've never limited and they've never played it so much I had to pry them off, maybe a new game but after a day they limit themselves.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:40 PM
I tend to agree.

Quoting EntrepeneurMom: I think if a parent is sensible then it's not going to do harm at any age.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:40 PM
What 2-5yo sits down to watch a movie? They don't have the attention spans for that.

Seems like more than enough to me.

Quoting Anonymous 1: We use screens pretty minimally, but an hour a day isn't very much. That's not even a whole movie. Right now my kids only get two shows a day, but an hour still seems like not much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:40 PM
Me too. We listen to pandora practically all day. I hate quiet.

Quoting PrettyWings29:

We are trying to cut down on screen time. I started it today with my son. He didn't really seem to miss it. I missed it more than he did, lol. I like the background noise. 

702girly
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:42 PM
My son did. I know lots of kids that age who can watch a movie.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: What 2-5yo sits down to watch a movie? They don't have the attention spans for that.

Seems like more than enough to me.

Quoting Anonymous 1: We use screens pretty minimally, but an hour a day isn't very much. That's not even a whole movie. Right now my kids only get two shows a day, but an hour still seems like not much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)