Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School and Girl scout fundraising! Ugh!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
My dd6 girl scout troop is doing their fall fundraising. I signed her up to do the online sales also for family and friends out of town. She also gets patches for sending a certain amount of emails, and selling a certain amount.

What if you don't know that many people? How are you supposed to reach the goals? I understand it's for fun, and to help earn money for the troop, but it breaks my heart when she goes to the meetings and sees all the other girls with all the patches, and she only has the standard ones and one she earned the other night. I feel bad not being able to help her earn more.

I've already decided to forgo all the school related fundraisers because she wouldn't be able to sell that much for them, and I can't afford to buy everything to help her meet those goals too. There was already 2 school related ones, and another coming up. Now this one too.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emilysmommy1971
by Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:26 PM

i do understand. I am a troop leader and a single mom. We do not have a lot of family/friends were we live now. So I try to do the online ones, ask neighbors, comworkers, even family members in different cities. We have multiple girls that only do the minimum selling and some that have large families. You are allowed to post on FB too. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:30 PM
I'm a single mom also. I had to deactivate my Facebook for safety, because of domestic abuse/stalking. I've given it to the office I work for and the only other coworker I have seen (I don't see my co-workers because I'm in home health). Right now we're at about $50 in sales between both online and face to face.

There's the 15 emails I'm still working on sending. I only have 8 so far. It really sucks.

Quoting Emilysmommy1971:

i do understand. I am a troop leader and a single mom. We do not have a lot of family/friends were we live now. So I try to do the online ones, ask neighbors, comworkers, even family members in different cities. We have multiple girls that only do the minimum selling and some that have large families. You are allowed to post on FB too. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:25 PM
Bump...

Do the fundraiser drive anyone else crazy?
BluesPagan2.0
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:28 PM
I'm a Girl Scout leader. I am leading my daughters Daisy troop. I've had parents ask me this many times. Fundraiser through family and friends first and then you go out and canvas the area or set up a booth outside of a business which allows that sort of thing. It's a chance for her to see what being an entrepreneur is all about and that means extending her business past just people she knows. Get it there and sell your product to as many strangers as you can.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:09 PM
Our troop leader said that's what the cookie sales are for, and that the fall fundraiser is mainly just friends, family, and co-workers. So that's not what it's for? I'm so confused now lol

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: I'm a Girl Scout leader. I am leading my daughters Daisy troop. I've had parents ask me this many times. Fundraiser through family and friends first and then you go out and canvas the area or set up a booth outside of a business which allows that sort of thing. It's a chance for her to see what being an entrepreneur is all about and that means extending her business past just people she knows. Get it there and sell your product to as many strangers as you can.
Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:14 PM

What exactly is the fall fundraiser for girl scouts?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Our troop leader said that's what the cookie sales are for, and that the fall fundraiser is mainly just friends, family, and co-workers. So that's not what it's for? I'm so confused now lol
Quoting BluesPagan2.0: I'm a Girl Scout leader. I am leading my daughters Daisy troop. I've had parents ask me this many times. Fundraiser through family and friends first and then you go out and canvas the area or set up a booth outside of a business which allows that sort of thing. It's a chance for her to see what being an entrepreneur is all about and that means extending her business past just people she knows. Get it there and sell your product to as many strangers as you can.

Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Most bix box stores won't let you set up a booth this time of year because (in my area) they have already designated that time to BSA and their freaking popcorn plus the bell ringer campaigns are getting ready to start

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:18 PM
Is it nuts? Most troops don't do a lot of sales in the fall because cookie sales start January 1 (at least here they do). I would do what you can and don't stress about it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Our troop leader said that's what the cookie sales are for, and that the fall fundraiser is mainly just friends, family, and co-workers. So that's not what it's for? I'm so confused now lol

imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:21 PM
You can get creative selling at the mall, set up stands. We have one neighbor who has a horse show driveway and uses it as girl scout cookie "drive thru".

Bring them to work, have them on you where ever you go

You don't necessarily have to know the people.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:22 PM
Typically all you need to do is sign up for time slots. I'm my experience they really don't care who takes the time slots

Quoting Talkingheads:

Most bix box stores won't let you set up a booth this time of year because (in my area) they have already designated that time to BSA and their freaking popcorn plus the bell ringer campaigns are getting ready to start

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)