Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not doing it for free this year

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 97 Replies
Every year I've watched my sister-in-law's kids for free during the school breaks. Thanksgiving Christmas and spring break. Usually the only days I don't end up watching them or on the actual holiday and maybe the day before and of course the weekend. I have never charged her because it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Well, I have a neighbor who has twin 6 year old boys who are good friends with my son. She offered me $65 per day to watch her boys. As you can imagine between the three breaks I could make quite a bit of money. The other thing is she would not have to drop them off until 8 o'clock in the morning her husband would pick them up at 5. Where as with my sister-in-law she drops her kids off at about 6:30 in the morning and doesn't pick them up till almost 8.

I called sil up and explain to her that the neighbor offered me money to watch her kids and it's a lot better hours so if sister-in-law wants me to watch her kids this year she's going to have to be able to at least match what my neighbors willing to offer. And the only reason I brought it up to my sister-in-law's because I've watched her kids every break for the past few years, I didn't want to wait until the week before the break with her just assuming that I would watch them because I always have. She actually had the nerve to get mad at me for asking for pay. When I told her that if she doesn't want to pay me that's fine but I won't be able to watch them she got mad again saying that I've always done it for free and she doesn't understand why it's a problem now. I told hee that it was one thing to watch them for free before but now I'm being offered a paid job. She can't ask me to give up a paying job to watch her kids for free. And I can't watch more than 2 kids besides my own because I have to be able to load everybody into the car in case I need to go somewhere ( I checked with the neighbor and she is perfectly fine with this).

She's refusing to talk to me now and basically said that money doesn't matter that you should put Family First. She even got my mother-in-law to call me and I told my mother-in-law that if she cares so much about it why doesn't she stay home from her job and watch them. She said that she can't give up the money to watch sils kids. I said why not that's exactly what you're asking me to do.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:28 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Your SIL sounds like an entitled brat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:37 PM
My mil is the same way, DH and I used to watch her four kids, 5 am until 11pm

I asked for pay because her kids ate a lot and I didn't have money to keep buying food daily, she had the nerve to tell me to get gov help because she isn't willing to pay AND she isn't going to stop dropping them off so I need to get the duck ovwr it

I warned her six times to stop dropping them off, the seven eighth and ninth tkmei called it in... she finally learned
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
That's horrible. I mean got to get so expensive to feed for kids basically all of their meals. I would have loaded them up into my car and drop them off at her work place

Quoting Anonymous 3: My mil is the same way, DH and I used to watch her four kids, 5 am until 11pm

I asked for pay because her kids ate a lot and I didn't have money to keep buying food daily, she had the nerve to tell me to get gov help because she isn't willing to pay AND she isn't going to stop dropping them off so I need to get the duck ovwr it

I warned her six times to stop dropping them off, the seven eighth and ninth tkmei called it in... she finally learned
Spare.Time
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:39 PM

again

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:44 PM

I'm with you.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Did SIL ever do ANYTHING to thank you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:46 PM

I think its pretty shitty you were willing to watch them for free all this time until all of a sudden somebody else is offering to pay you to watch their kids. And now all of a sudden you are expecting SIL to pay you just because this neighbor is. You sound very greedy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:46 PM
She would occasionally say thank you but that was about it.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

I'm with you.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Did SIL ever do ANYTHING to thank you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Would it be different if I wanted to get a part-time job so I told her that she was either going to have to pay me what I would make at my part time job or I was going to take the part time job where I wouldn't be able to watch her kids? The fact is I can only either watch her kids or the neighbors kids. Why wouldn't I take the one that is willing to pay me? Why is it greedy to want to be paid for a service of value? It was one thing when no one was offering to pay me and I was willing to just help them out but when I've got an offer of a job that's going to make me a little bit of money why wouldn't I take it?

Quoting Anonymous 5:

I think its pretty shitty you were willing to watch them for free all this time until all of a sudden somebody else is offering to pay you to watch their kids. And now all of a sudden you are expecting SIL to pay you just because this neighbor is. You sound very greedy. 

Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:53 PM
Ages? You might have been able to leave the oldest ones at home during store runs.

Try a compromise and tell her she has to provide food and diapers...maybe laundry soap and carpet cleaner if she has an extra messy kid like mine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)