Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't control my teen son

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

Jamal turned 17 almost two months ago and has for the last year or so been in constant trouble with the law and with his school. It started with him being out late at night with his friends, I presume drinking and smoking. Then it escalated to skipping school and getting into fights, eventually getting expelled. He got arrested twice for being in drug houses. His excuse for that one has been that he didn't know anything about it. Since then it's constant parties, drugs and being away from home for days on end. I'm at a loss

I've tried everything with Jamal, from grounding to taking away his phone and such. He lacks motivation to just do anything with his life. He's almost 18 now so I don't want to be so strict that he cuts me off when he can move out but I'm scared for him and his safety concerning the type of people that he associates with. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:23 PM
Boot camp
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:25 PM

I can't afford anything like that 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Boot camp

Mom2Boys9501
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:26 PM
Come down hard on him and don't fear him not talking to you.
If he does stop once he turns 18 life will knock him down enough he will need his mama again.
alexmom529
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:26 PM
Kick him out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:29 PM
Check with your local juvenile station. They may be able to help. Or at least have a scared straight program.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I can't afford anything like that 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Boot camp

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:29 PM
With him being 18 soon you are limited. Put him in rehab now so he can't sign himself out. Or put him in a psychiatric hospital tell them he is hurting himself.

I can't think of any thing
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:29 PM

This is how my SD was at 17. She dropped out of school, partied and did whatever she wanted. At 18 She officially became my step daughter and would tell her dad to step up and do something with her, talk to her just something. She cut us off said we were losers and her BIOmom as well, years went by and at age 29 she showed up out of the blue with a bf and a baby, she still see's nothing wrong with her lifestyle, I have pulled teeth trying to get her to understand that her life has been nothing but a train wreck since she was 17 and she will not get it! I swear once they get into the drugs they are GONE! Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:30 PM
Time to move asap!

When you get your tax return move to a new area, get a new start.
Amybelle
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:34 PM

you've already lost him

ndfan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:45 PM
Going through the exact same issues with SS who lived 800 miles away. Just found out 2 hours ago he is moving here next week. If screws up even once he is off to Boys Town
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)