Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am not taking care of you because you checked out of the hospital ama

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
So fil had surgery on Friday. He was supposed to stay in the hospital for around a week for observation and because he really needs a lot of help right now. The hospital that he went to and in fact every hospital in my area is tobacco-free. Which means employees can not smoke on premises nor can patients. The only thing they will do for the patient is offer them nicotine gum or patch. But they will not take them outside to smoke and of course they cannot smoke inside. I actually was really excited for this because I was thinking that if my father-in-law had to go a week without smoking he might actually quit. Or at least he might cut down on his pack and a half to pack a day habit

So my fil decided to sign himself out of the hospital ama (against medical advice). We tried to talk him out of it. We told him it was stupid we told him that he needs to be in the hospital and all that. But we also told him that if he thinks he's coming to our house to be taken care of he is sorely mistaken. He has the hospital as an option to be taken care of if he wants to leave then he can go take care of himself. We even refused to drive him home. We thought we had convinced him but no. We got a call this morning from him, he took a cab home and now he can't take care of himself. He is too dizzy and weak to get up to go to the bathroom. If we have to go over there I am calling an ambulance to take him back to the hospital unless he will willingly go in which case I will take him. He wants us to bring him to our house and take care of him at our house. No way is that happening. Call me unfeeling or uncaring but when you put being able to smoke over staying in the hospital when you know you can't take care of yourself you don't have the right to demand your family take care of you
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:33 PM
Bump
star33
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm with you.
KittyMom1026
by Sharon on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:35 PM

I agree with you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:35 PM
I don't know what's more crazy the fact of this man smokes a pack and a half to two packs a day or the fact that he neglected to continue his medical care so that he could smoke. I mean I guess somebody smoking a pack and a half to two packs a day can't be all that concerned with their health anyway but to me this is just crazy

Quoting star33: I'm with you.
mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:37 PM
Wow. Dumbass.
star33
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:37 PM
I agree. Smoking is gross. He should focus on getting better.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't know what's more crazy the fact of this man smokes a pack and a half to two packs a day or the fact that he neglected to continue his medical care so that he could smoke. I mean I guess somebody smoking a pack and a half to two packs a day can't be all that concerned with their health anyway but to me this is just crazy

Quoting star33: I'm with you.
702girly
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:37 PM
I would do the same.
mommy404204
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:38 PM
I wouldn't help him either. The Dr's wanted him in the hospital so an entire team of people can help and monitor him around the clock. He either needs to take care of himself or go back to the hospital.
lovebugs_mom906
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:38 PM
He sounds a bit crazy. I would do exactly what you are doing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:39 PM
I agree. However, an ambulance won't take him against his will. So don't waste their time if he won't go, please!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)