Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help, tips advice to help me with my DD!! please.

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:22 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am in Australia,  our schooling is different here..  We have Primary school which is grade 1-6 and then you go to High school which is year 7-12.    Anyway,  My DD is 12 and in grade 6.  We only have 6 weeks left of the school year!!  (yay)   This means that she is about to leave Primary school and move on to High school.   We have enrolled her in a very good High school.   However she is terrifed to go!!   I mean tears, begging not to have to go...  She had to try on her new uniforms the other day and was in tears throughout it!!.    

Now this has really caught me by surprise!!  This girl is a born performer, has grown up on the stage,  Is school Captain this year which involves speeches, community presentations ect ect..  So she is not what you would call shy.   But for some reason she is just terrified to go to High school!!  says she is not ready!  She is above in most subjects so yes she is ready!

I do plan on speaking to her teacher about it,  but I just thought I would ask you guys if you have gone through this,  what I can do/say to help her!!  so far nothing I say helps her not be terrified   :(   What should be an exciting new time is NOT..  :(  any advice??   She had a day at the high school for orientation and loved it!!   that was back in June.   Still scared...

thanks for reading ladies  :)  

by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BluesPagan2.0
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:23 PM
Sit down and ask her why she feels she isn't ready. Validate her and don't invalidate her feelings. Offer her support and let her know that part of growing up is moving into scary territory but that it will be ok.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:25 PM
I bet she's a perfectionist. Am I right? If so, I can offer suggestions, if not, I'd be at a loss too.
livric
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:30 PM

I have spoken to her about how she loved her day there,  how all the other kids will be new as well..   I have even told her if she really is unhappy at that school we would look at other schools..  I have held her and told her that she will be ok...  Im at a loss..

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: Sit down and ask her why she feels she isn't ready. Validate her and don't invalidate her feelings. Offer her support and let her know that part of growing up is moving into scary territory but that it will be ok.

quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:30 PM

its a big change,she was top dog,now shes low on the totem pole..

livric
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:32 PM

I believe it is the change...  She does not like change and I guess this is a big one!!   She can be a bit of a perfectionist...  but my gut feeling is she is struggling with the change..

Quoting Anonymous 1: I bet she's a perfectionist. Am I right? If so, I can offer suggestions, if not, I'd be at a loss too.

Spare.Time
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:33 PM

She is going with all her classmates?  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:33 PM
It's a huge transition, there's going to be some drama. You're doing all you can.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:34 PM
Ahh. Well good luck. Its tough being a kid sometimes, especially when dealing with change thats out of your control.

Quoting livric:

I believe it is the change...  She does not like change and I guess this is a big one!!   She can be a bit of a perfectionist...  but my gut feeling is she is struggling with the change..

Quoting Anonymous 1: I bet she's a perfectionist. Am I right? If so, I can offer suggestions, if not, I'd be at a loss too.

livric
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:35 PM

yeah It is a big change,  she has never liked change!   She is just scared of the unknown too.  Scared of being the little kid, with much older, bigger kids.   18 years is normal age for year 12 kids here.

Quoting quinnsmom715:

its a big change,she was top dog,now shes low on the totem pole..

livric
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:38 PM

yup!! lol.   I feel so sorry for her though  :(   she has even said she will fail grade 6 so she can stay lol!! I told her well she has already passed so that wont work!!    I know that once she gets there she will settle.  Its just so hard seeing her so scared  :(

Quoting Anonymous 1: Ahh. Well good luck. Its tough being a kid sometimes, especially when dealing with change thats out of your control.
Quoting livric:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)