Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm so done w my clingy 5 year old

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies
I'm losing my mind and I'm becoming a horrible woman who doesn't or can't appreciate a little como at on Saturday night .
I have lived alone with my 5 year old since pretty much conception . I guess I never really thought that some kids can't be trained to be independent so I was more than ok to go ahead with the pregnancy .
The kid has been super glued to me since delivery . I get it : babies need you. But he was the king of kid that waned to be held all the time .
He never enjoyed floor time or tummy time .
Colicky kid
As he grew , I tried to make him more and more independent
He can't and he won't do it
He's behind my ass all the time
If we go to the park, he won't play unless I'm playing with him
He does well in social contexts and he can even enjoy parent night out at YMCA or MY GYM.
I think it's just his dynamics at home
So weekend, I can't even enjoy conversation with another adult after 7 pm because I'm exhausted from carrying 50 pounds with me all the time . I'm using the word "carrying" figuratively of course . I don't have to carry him
But other than getting dressed and brushing his teeth and playing games on the iPad for one hour , he has not done any other playing alone . I'm a wreck
I'm exhausted
I just said goodbye to a dear friend who came to hang out with us at 4 and he was planning on hanging out more but I had to tell him that I was falling asleep .
I have work to do and I'm just plain tired .
This kid is draining my energy and as I just thought of the word "draining " , I remember that my mom actually said that when she came to visit us and my son was 3.
He's a loving and awesome kid but he seems to have that power to drain you and yet, he can be ok in social groups so I guess he knows he can cling to
Mommy.
I feel as if I'm done trying to help him be independent and I'm exhausted and I can't breathe or work out or do anything
Helppppp
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:12 PM
Bump
redneckmama4
by Loree on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:14 PM
This is so fuckin' sad and why abortion needs to stay legal and thought about more often.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:17 PM
What does he do if you say "go play quietly with your toys for 30 minutes, I'll set the timer."
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:17 PM
Yes I can afford to have a sitter for 2 or 3 hours every weekend or every other weekend but it doesn't solve anything . In fact , it probably makes it worse as he gets
More used to one on one attention . He does basketball on weekends and that helps a little
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:21 PM
It is not a question of abortion or not . I wanted to be a mom and I guess I thought that any kid could learn to play independently unless there was a
Medical factor involved . I guess by now , I have learned that some kids don't really become independent and some can be as clingy as mine and I m not ok with it .
So the issue is now , 5 years
Down the road , here we have a clingy hold and a mom hat loves him to death but can't stand a clingy behavior

Quoting redneckmama4: This is so fuckin' sad and why abortion needs to stay legal and thought about more often.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:21 PM
Thanks for the prayers

Quoting Anonymous 3: What are you, a troll trying to get me to vote for Clinton? If not... prayers for your poor child :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Go into your room and lock the door. Tell him it's his time to play in his room and you'll get him when it's time to come out.
mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:26 PM

I call that only child syndrome. 

My youngest is the same way and he is 9, but it doesnt bother me. There's 15yrs between him and my middle son, so he is the only child in the home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:28 PM
You're so sad. I understand everyone has their own opinion. But this is mine. Abortion is NOT okay.. And if you think it is, I will pray for each and everyone who thinks it is. Including you. No hard feelings. I hope you realize that one day, it's never okay.

Quoting redneckmama4: This is so fuckin' sad and why abortion needs to stay legal and thought about more often.
redneckmama4
by Loree on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:30 PM
Independent how? He is an only child with only a mom for a parent. What do you expect him to live up to?

I have a very clingy 2yo that is my 5th child and unlike my other four. I must adapt to her needs, it's just the way it is.

Don't focus so much on his needs versus yours, just enjoy your time together.

Quoting Anonymous 1: It is not a question of abortion or not . I wanted to be a mom and I guess I thought that any kid could learn to play independently unless there was a
Medical factor involved . I guess by now , I have learned that some kids don't really become independent and some can be as clingy as mine and I m not ok with it .
So the issue is now , 5 years
Down the road , here we have a clingy hold and a mom hat loves him to death but can't stand a clingy behavior

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)