Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else?

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:20 AM
  • 14 Replies

I volunteered to work the polls on election day.  I didn't quite realize the time committment involved - I will be there a couple of hours the day before helping set up, and then 15-16 hours the day of the election, but at this point I just have to grin and bear it.  Getting out of my civic duty is no longer an option.

I figure at least it's bound to be an interesting election this year, even if I do wind up exhausted by the end of the night.

by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xiolxuo
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:22 AM
No.. my husband and I already voted. We wanted to avoid the masses come election day because we are nervous people will act like assholes. We just wanted to avoid it.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:22 AM

No way in hell I would go anywhere near the polls on election day. No thank you.

If its a volunteer thing you can certainly tell them you are available between x-x times. 

Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:28 AM

It states on the paper it's a misdemeanor if you don't do it, subject to a $100 fine.  Besides that, knowing how few people are working my polling place means I would feel like a giant asshole if I didn't do my share of the work.  They're nice people.  It's only one day, I won't die.  

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

No way in hell I would go anywhere near the polls on election day. No thank you.

If its a volunteer thing you can certainly tell them you are available between x-x times. 

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Be sure to pack some bear mace.

imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:29 AM

I would not consider that volunteering then.

Quoting Ginger0104:

It states on the paper it's a misdemeanor if you don't do it, subject to a $100 fine.  Besides that, knowing how few people are working my polling place means I would feel like a giant asshole if I didn't do my share of the work.  They're nice people.  It's only one day, I won't die.  

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:30 AM
I work full time days so that wouldn't be possible even if I wanted to
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:31 AM
That's crazy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:36 AM

Not this year. Nope. No way. 

PureLoveNJoy
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:54 AM
Couldn't be me. You go girl. Lol
PaisleyBirds
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:57 AM
I can't believe they expect you to volunteer for 15-16hrs in one day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)