Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 8 year old hurts himself.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies

my 8 year old harms himself and I don't know what to say or do anymore. It started 2 years ago. When ever he is faced with adversity he punches himself in the face or pinches his thighs to release stress or punish himself.

He has been in counseling for a year. Yesterday he had an argument with the local mean kid and he threw a folder at him. The mean kid whined that he got a paper cut. My son felt bad for doing that so went into the bathroom at school and gave himself a bruised face.

Im only sharing this in with hopes someone in this group has faced the same behavior and can offer some advice. My son is precious to me and this is killing me. He has never been physically punished at home, I really don't know where this behavior comes from. Or how to combat it. The counselor has given him many options of things to do when he is stressed and he applies those daily. But sometimes... every so often he reverts back to this behavior. 

*** P.S.        I've posted about this under my screen name before so if you know who i am please don't out me.  I now have a personal friend on the site and wish to not have her know about this issue.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:21 AM

I have zero experience.  Hoping another mom can help. Do you feel he might need a new counselor ? One that could help him to cope better ?

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:24 AM
You need a better therapist.

You need answers.

My oldest doesn't self harm (yet) but he is fighting some difficult times and we are finally getting answers. It has been a long road- almost 5 years. My biggest worry is that he will start to self harm.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)