Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm addicted to buying food

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

Growing up, we never had food in the house.  Not because we were poor, we weren't at all.  My parents were business owners and busy.  I had take-out on speed dial and they had a credit card on file for my parents.  My parents never cooked.  I ate all meals out.  We never had snacks or drinks.

So now, as an adult, I refuse to not have food in the house.  I have two refrigerators in my home, along with a deep freezer.  I have a pantry and a closet filled with food.  I get anxiety if I think we are going to run out of something.  I cook all the time.  I always have food on the stove. 

The problem is, is that it is really expensive.  I usually spend between 1500-2000 on food each month. I know its crazy, but I just can't seem to scale it down.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:45 AM
Are you rotating so food doesn't expire?
flibbertygibbet
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:51 AM
Try couponing.
I feed a family of 6, two of those are teen boys. I always have snacks and left overs in the house, I also have an extra fridge and a deep freezer, and spend less than $700 a month
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:59 AM
I'm the same way. We weren't exactly poor, at least not most of my childhood, till I was about 8, we were kind of poor. But my mom was so Frugal with grocery shopping. For most of my childhood she was very thin and didn't eat a lot of snacks or anything like that. So she just didn't see the point in buying snacks. And there were many days where I packed my lunch with a sandwich and a bag of cereal because we didn't have any snacks.

Try couponing and shopping sales. It saves a lot of money and it actually gets to be kind of fun. I've gotten to the point where I don't pay more than 25% retail value for snack foods.
ginnie_21
by Ginnie on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:01 AM
oh wow. Maybe get rid of the deep freezer
SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:02 AM

As long as you aren't wasting food, I don't see the issue. 

I spend anywhere from 1,000 to 1,200 for 3 people but I prefer being stocked up at all times and food doesn't go to waste around here.

Marivilla
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:03 AM
Send that food this way. I'm too lazy to go to the store
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:03 AM
How about taking each type of food and putting a limit on yourself.
Like group granola bars and other things like that together and put a cap at say 5. Once you get below 5 you will buy what it takes to replace those.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:32 AM

I am!  I have a computer spread sheet with all the items listed and their expiration dates and I plan my meals accordingly. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Are you rotating so food doesn't expire?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:37 AM
Impressive.

Feel free to share a yummy recipe with me:)

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I am!  I have a computer spread sheet with all the items listed and their expiration dates and I plan my meals accordingly. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Are you rotating so food doesn't expire?

.MiaBella.
by Mia on Oct. 28, 2016 at 9:35 AM

We spend the same on groceries each month but none of it goes to waste!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)