Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you volunteer at your child's school?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 134 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've tried repeatedly to volunteer at my son's school. Each time I'm met with a "We don't need your help" mentality. I just signed up to help with fall parties. I tried contacting the "team" I am assigned to. I've never received any type of communication. I searched through Facebook only to find the party is completely taken care of by two moms.

This happens every time I try. I can't even help set up for events because, "We've got this." I'm so frustrated.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Yes both my husband and I did. We never met with what you are experiencing. I'm sorry they are boxing you out.

admsj5
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:22 AM
Sometimes
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:22 AM
Yeah as much as I can with my toddler at home. In the classroom and with ptsa. Our elementary school is about 900 kids though. They always need extra hands!

That sucks that they are treating you that way. Are you friends with any of the regular volunteers? I'd keep pushing. You have every right to be at the school helping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:27 AM
I think I'm most frustrated because the school brags that they couldn't be what they are (they are truly amazing!) without all of its parent volunteers. I always see the same names involved in everything. It is our second year and I want to be a part where I can. I'm not a threat to anyone's status LOL

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Yes both my husband and I did. We never met with what you are experiencing. I'm sorry they are boxing you out.

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Have you spoken to the teacher and asked why every time you offer you get shut down ?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I think I'm most frustrated because the school brags that they couldn't be what they are (they are truly amazing!) without all of its parent volunteers. I always see the same names involved in everything. It is our second year and I want to be a part where I can. I'm not a threat to anyone's status LOL
Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:30 AM

I only end up helping with parties which are fewer and fewer with only a couple by 5th grade, and only managed to get assigned to one of 5th grade parties.  I've volunteered to chaperone field trips and even tried to get a job at school as an aide or other employee but was told no thanks, we have it under control.  All those things go to friends of school employees or teacher's friends here.  It's a small town, it's easy to see who is friends with who and see what it gets them.  Here it really is who you know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:30 AM
I have a few aquaintences but non of them are able to volunteer in the hands-on capacity. I worked so hard to get him in to this school because of the atmosphere on want to help however I can. I volunteer my time in the library but would love to do more.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Yeah as much as I can with my toddler at home. In the classroom and with ptsa. Our elementary school is about 900 kids though. They always need extra hands!

That sucks that they are testing you that way. Are you friends with any of the regular volunteers? I'd keep pushing. You have every right to be at the school helping.
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:31 AM

i dont yet... but i plan to try next year when my youngest is in preschool.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:31 AM

no I don't

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:32 AM
This is a city wide school but smallish. I don't want it for the notoriety but to be genuinely helpful were I can be. You are right, though. It is always the same group of moms.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I only end up helping with parties which are fewer and fewer with only a couple by 5th grade, and only managed to get assigned to one of 5th grade parties.  I've volunteered to chaperone field trips and even tried to get a job at school as an aide or other employee but was told no thanks, we have it under control.  All those things go to friends of school employees or teacher's friends here.  It's a small town, it's easy to see who is friends with who and see what it gets them.  Here it really is who you know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)