Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

switching to a private school.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I really want to take my dd out of public school and into a private school. What are some things you look for in a private school?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jellybeanjean
by All the makeup on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Student teacher ratio
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:54 AM
It's really personal preference. I would be looking for a Christian Private school and would want to read over their statement of Faith and hear about their Religious background/beliefs and I would want my kids to have a Bible class.
I would want to know about their accreditation and what curriculums they follow. What are the class sizes, what sports and extra curricular safe offered... What are their graduation statistics/rates?

But like I said... It's really personal preference.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Why? 

The reason I ask is that you don't want to go to the expense of private school if the thing you dislike is in the private school only. 

Also, if there's a public school that meets your needs, its cheaper to move to it than it is to pay all that tuition. You're already paying tuition in your taxes. 

Teacher:pupil ratios. Academic standards. College admissions schools and rates. 

I knew a "Great" private school with smart kids but the girls ended up going to third-tier schools because of bad counseling. 

Sit in on a class or two, see how much sparkle is in the kids eyes. 

Compare schools by looking up online ratings. Someone has to rate the various private schools. 

Maime13
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Well, start with why you think a private school would be better than their public. What do you like about their current school? What don't you like? What do you want them to get that they aren't getting?

What to look for really depends on your family. Size, location and price are some pretty general ones. Type of school...do you want a religious education or a secular one? Teaching/learning philosophy of school? 

Do you want a preK-12 or would you be fine with changing schools later? If it is through high school what does their college acceptance data look like? They should be willing to tell you how many schools each student applied to and how many each were accepted to, on average. They should also be willing to show you what schools students commonly attend upon graduation. What kind of athletics/arts are offered? What kind of honors classes?

SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Student to teacher ratio

Religious or nonsecular. This was very important to us because we are Atheist. Many private schools are religious based so if that matters to you, I would check that out.

Their curriculum. Public school tend to teach half truths about history, so this was also important to us.

Zaichik90
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 11:01 AM
Private school mama here
We picked the school because it was near by, had small classes, clean building, and had a lot of extracurricular activities. We also liked the curriculum. It's a Jewish day school & i liked the inclusion of religious classes. It was either that or Sunday school so this saves everyone one from extra school and plus they learn so much more! I love seeing them excited about our culture

I also look at the other parents. I ask myself "does our family fit in?" (We did).

I prefer private schools because they are not limited by the State's budget. They can afford amazing art & music programs & exciting field trips & all the extras.

SRUsarahSC
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 11:14 AM
Student/teacher ratio, technology....we are doing private school because it seems like public schools right now are only teaching to pass the standardized tests, not for actual knowledge, critical thinking etc. No fault on the teachers that federal money is needed, but for private they don't rely on that money
gunsgirl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:05 PM

we did this this year.

our reasons for puuling him was common core curriculum and administrative response to bulying, class size and standardized testing requirements in this state.

we put him in a small christian school that goes from prek to 12th grade.

he went from B's and C's last year to All A's this year, he is not afride to go to school, has made some great friends and he loves the entire staff.

I especially like how they truly care for all of the kids, they praise them, are afftectionate, and are sincerely happy to be working there.

.MiaBella.
by Mia on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Quoting SergeantSausage:

Student to teacher ratio

Religious or nonsecular. This was very important to us because we are Atheist. Many private schools are religious based so if that matters to you, I would check that out.

Their curriculum. Public school tend to teach half truths about history, so this was also important to us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)