• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why I don't work

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
I have been asked this and I always refuse to answer mainly because I know what would be said. I would be told I am making excuses and so forth.

I am willing to share today

I have 2 children with mental health diagnosis. One isn't severe. With therapy meds and a school change to a school with all smaller class size he is Doing much better, using coping skills and learning how to control it
My other not so well. She is refusing all forms of treatment, refuses therapy and medication, flunking out of school when she actually agrees to go.

Until 5 yrs ago I worked. When it becomes obvious that the one child who isn't doing good now had something going on. My dh and i sat down and tried to decide the best course of action to take. There wasn't any way we could both work and deal with it. At the time we was also dealing with the other child issues as well. We also wasn't aware how severe the one who isn't doing well now issues really were.
We sat down and we decided since he made much more than I did that I would quit my job and tackle these issues hands on.

For 5 yrs I have been fighting for my kids mental health. IEP meetings, 504 plans, therapy sessions, psychiatrist appointments, being on call if I was needed at school. One has Excelled in treatment but the other hasn't.

We have struggled financially from time to time. We have done well financially as well. Because i also took on all the financial aspect of our life and doing what normal sahm do as well

We have had some financial struggles recently due to stuff and a few time because with my one child my dh has had to take off work because of stuff i couldn't handle alone.

I know I will be told I am making excuses but it is far from the truth. I would perfer to work but atm, that isn't an option. Working would be a savings grace for me. My life revolves around doctor appointment and school meetings and constant battles.

So here you go. Am well aware some will bash me. Some will call me lazy. But I know, my dh knows that, that is far from the truth. The professionals in our life know it isn't true as well.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SommelierMom
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:01 PM
Why not work PT?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:02 PM
You have way too many posts out there. Are you the new Linda? Do you have a therapist?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:02 PM

As a parent you can force your child into treatment if necessary...and based on your post it sounds necessary

justinnaimee
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:03 PM
Seriously nobody cares why. If you feel justified you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks anyway.
admsj5
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:03 PM
Ok
wakymom
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Why would anyone bash you for doing what you need to for your kids? If staying home is what is needed to help them overcome their issues and succeed, then that is what you do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM
No you can't m you can't force treatment once they hit a certain age. That I know for a fact.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

As a parent you can force your child into treatment if necessary...and based on your post it sounds necessary

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM
I have a child with severe disabilities as well and one with some minor. I wah. You do what's best for you.
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM

I used to work for an organization that helped families with these types of matter. 

You shouldn't apologize, you have a full-time job, just like the parent whose child is fighting cancer, autism, or any other life altering health issue.  Our society doesn't make it easy, our public and private health providers are complicated to deal with and it makes complete sense for you to focus on the immediate needs of your family and your children than on making more money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:06 PM
I've thought about that it is a viable option. With my husband work schedule and my children I wouldn't be Able too. I would also burn out really quickly

Quoting SommelierMom: Why not work PT?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)