• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Over cautious? Or do I have reason to be?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
DS is a year old. In that short amount of time we almost lost him multiple times, and he's had issues come and go.

At birth, he had 2 Pediatritions suggest getting him circumcised because his urethral opening (his pee hole) was a bit out of place. We could do things the "easy" way and circumcise him then or the "hard" way and end up needing surgery and having possibly multiple utis. We were going to get it done anyway, but instead of the normal person doing it, we had a urologist do it.

At almost 1 month he got sick. He wouldn't keep anything down. We took him to the pedi 2 days after it started because we were worried about dehydration. He said bring him back Friday (2 days later because of a holiday) to see how he was then. The next morning he was vomiting up blood (the coffee ground kind). We took him to the local children's hospital and they found out he had pyloric stenosis. If we would have waited until Friday, it may have ruptured his stomach. He could have died from that or dehydration by then. Surgery was a success, but because of how sensitive his stomach was he still wouldn't hold anything down. We had to tube feed him for a few days. A week later, he was able to feed normally again and we got to go home.

At a little over 2 months he stopped breathing in his sleep. I just happened to go in his room to put something away and I saw that he wasn't breathing and he was blue. I called 911 and did infant CPR. He started coughing and crying. The ems said his lungs sounded clear and to see his pedi. His pedi said it was an "acute life threatening event" and it was unlikely to happen again. We got an AngelCare monitor anyway, just in case. He had 3 more "incidents" before his pedi gave us a referral to a gi dr. He said it was reflux but because DS didn't cooperate with the test, he didn't know how bad. He gave us meds and sent us on his way. DS had 1-3 incidents a week for nearly 6 months. Now he has about 1 a month. They still think it's reflux but he shows no other symptoms of it.

About a month ago he had an allergic reaction to something. We think it was nutmeg, but he's had it before with no issues. His face swelled up to the point his eyes were shut. He was also wheezing a bit. Dr gave him a steroid shot and some antihistamines and we sat at the hospital for a bit to make sure he was ok.

He gets rashes on his cheeks for no apparent reason. His pedi said it looks like a mild allergic reaction but we don't know what to. We've cut things out and reintroduced them to him and nothing seemed to work. We already use the free and clear detergent, softener, and drier sheets.

A friend is throwing a Halloween party Saturday. She and her little one are sick, as are one of the party goers. They all have breathing issues (one has bronchitis), they all have sinus issues, one has a fever, and they all had body aches. I want to skip the party because of it. Dh thinks I'm over cautious. I think it's not worth the risk. What say the moms on here?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:33 PM
I say let him go, he's doesn't have weak lungs.
MistyMoo
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:34 PM
I think you're right be to cautious with all of the things youve been through. Plus, you don't really have answers to what the issues are, so avoiding sickness would be wise.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:38 PM
I wouldn't go.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:39 PM
Let him go. They likely won't be contagious anymore at that point.

If I were you, I'd want to keep that baby in a room lined with bubble wrap all the time. You should be careful not to do that.
Momtogirls0823
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:46 PM

I would keep him home if I were you.  It just doesn't seem worth it to me in light of all of his medical problems.  I am sorry he has had to go through all that!  Poor little guy!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:47 PM
Even without a medically fragile kid, I wouldn't go. And I'd let the parents know why I'm not attending. You dont host a party with sick kids! That is so rude.
Famousglm714
by Gina on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Quoting MistyMoo: I think you're right be to cautious with all of the things youve been through. Plus, you don't really have answers to what the issues are, so avoiding sickness would be wise.

admsj5
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:52 PM
He is 1, so he isn't going to know he missed it. Don't go.
maliksmama2
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:54 PM
You're the mother, I would go with your gut. How scary for you to have had your little one go through so much.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:55 PM

It would be intelligent to avoid the party.  I can't stand people stupid and inconsiderate enough to invite guests when there is illness running through their house.  And your husband should probably go ahead and wise up now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)