• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have no idea how to respond to this.

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:30 PM
  • 47 Replies

I'm the CEO of a multi-location medical group.  There are 104  employees that are employed with us.

Twice a week I work from my home office.  It allows me to catch up on emails, phone calls and run my financial reports along with some HR issues.   The other three days, I spend on the road mostly, traveling for meetings. When I'm home or on the road, I'm always available via phone, text and email and I FaceTime my employees often for meetings.   

I live, eat and sleep my job.  I am "on" 24/7.  My decisions are litteraly the decisions that keep 104 families with roofs over their heads and food in their stomachs. 

One of my office managers called me this morning, venting about how stressed she is and overwhelmed.  Two of her employees are on maternity leave at the same time.  I told her we only have 3 more weeks to get through, and then things will get back to normal. 

She flipped out on me, and said, "there is no we, you sit on your ass all day long, working from home, doing God knows what, while I'm in the office all day, actually working!"

I was stunned and couldn't find words for a few seconds.  When I regained myself, I told her that I was ending the conversation, that I will talk to her tomorrow, in person.  (this is a rule the owner established, when someone makes you angry, give both of you 24 hours of seperation and then discuss)

I don't know what I'm going to say to her, that wouldn't be mean and unprofessional. 

by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allebas1
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

WOW!! UMMM--WOW!!! I have no idea what I would say to her! She sounds like she honestly has no clue 'what' your job entails. I guess I would probably enlighten her with exactly what it is you do! Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:35 PM
You're fired?
nancym3
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:35 PM
I would write her up for insubordination and possibly terminate her employment.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:35 PM
Maybe that her response was untrue , mean , uncalled for and very unprofessional. I would ask for an apology. I would also ask if she thinks she might need to think about finding a less stressful job .
jjames1990
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:36 PM

I thought about that.  I don't want her to think I'm trying to one up her and say I do more than her, but DAMN! The simple fact is, when she goes home at night, her job ends, mine never does.

Quoting allebas1:

WOW!! UMMM--WOW!!! I have no idea what I would say to her! She sounds like she honestly has no clue 'what' your job entails. I guess I would probably enlighten her with exactly what it is you do! Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM
4 moms liked this

Simply tell her that this is a business and she was HIGHLY Unprofessional.  Let her know that her role is office manager and she signed up for that job and is expected to carry it out & not call to "vent" to the CEO.  Tell her your job responsibilities is not up for discussion.  It's none of her business what you do or don't do.  And finally I'd hand her a write up for her outlandish behavior.  She's lucky you don't have her fired for that.

jjames1990
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM

I wanted to, it was my first thought.  And I'm sure she is thinking she will be terminated. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: You're fired?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Perhaps she knows how much time you spend on cafemom.
jjames1990
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:38 PM

She is defintely going to be wrote up.  Right now, I want to fire her. I've learned that if I let things like this go, it has a domino effect. 

Quoting nancym3: I would write her up for insubordination and possibly terminate her employment.

jjames1990
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:39 PM

She is going to be wrote up.  Funny thing is, is I've told my employees, I am not the person to vent to. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Simply tell her that this is a business and she was HIGHLY Unprofessional.  Let her know that her role is office manager and she signed up for that job and is expected to carry it out & not call to "vent" to the CEO.  Tell her your job responsibilities is not up for discussion.  It's none of her business what you do or don't do.  And finally I'd hand her a write up for her outlandish behavior.  She's lucky you don't have her fired for that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)