Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are your kids getting belted on the school bus?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

My son's school has new buses and with seat belts. 

Where we live bus rides are anywhere from 30 mintues to 90 minutes one way. So I hear a lot of the kids complaining because they have to be upright and can't sleep on the bus. Some kids are on the bus as early as 6:30 AM and use the time to finish sleeping. Anyway do you think it is a good idea to have seat belts?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicole_2007
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:06 PM
My son has to use the seat bealt becauseche wont sit still. He has ADHD so its good for safety. My daughter is special needs and uses a seat belt. Not all kids need the seat belt but I like that they have them just incase they need them for kids safety
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Buses should have seatbelts.  Our buses don't.

Finish sleeping?  They need to be going to bed earlier if that's a serious issue for these kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:06 PM
My middle child rides the special needs bus with her sister & it does have seatbelts which makes me very happy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:10 PM
I remember seatbelts on the bus back in the early 80's. There is a lot of research on seatbelts on busses. They would protect in a rollover. But not as much in a head on or rear ending. School bus seats are made with a pitch in the backrest. If you see tests done with belts on. The body sustained more damage that without a belt. The body snaps forward while without the body moves into the backrest and the seat absorbs the shock. But like I said a belt will protect in a roll over.
Momtogirls0823
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:12 PM

My ydd (10 yo) has to wear a seat belt on the bus.  She doesn't get on until 7:10, though.  She doesn't like it but it's just due to the fact that the driver ends up getting to the school late b/c she has to check that everyone has theirs buckled.  I do think it's a good thing, though.  I mean, they buckle up in the car, what is so different about a school bus?

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Yes and kids are required to use them. Someone not wanting their child buckled so they can take a nap is stupid. Getting them to bed earlier would be a better solution than risking them getting flung across the bus in an accident.

OrangeBalloon
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:16 PM

It isn't easy for a bus to roll over either. Eveyrthing that I have seen makes me think that seat belts on the bus are not necessary. The number of deaths for children riding a school bus is VERY VERY low. There are WAY more children that die while riding with their parents, and they are buckled up, than kids that die while riding a school bus with no seat belts. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: I remember seatbelts on the bus back in the early 80's. There is a lot of research on seatbelts on busses. They would protect in a rollover. But not as much in a head on or rear ending. School bus seats are made with a pitch in the backrest. If you see tests done with belts on. The body sustained more damage that without a belt. The body snaps forward while without the body moves into the backrest and the seat absorbs the shock. But like I said a belt will protect in a roll over.

andreamarie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:38 PM
Our oldest daughters bus does not have seat belts.
Youngest daughter rides the special needs bus , so she has belts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:39 PM

It would be a great idea in my school district cause most of the bus drivers are maniacs.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

My son's school has new buses and with seat belts. 

Where we live bus rides are anywhere from 30 mintues to 90 minutes one way. So I hear a lot of the kids complaining because they have to be upright and can't sleep on the bus. Some kids are on the bus as early as 6:30 AM and use the time to finish sleeping. Anyway do you think it is a good idea to have seat belts?

OliRye1234
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:40 PM
Our districts can't afford new buses.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)