Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My black son is a frat boy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've been a single mom nearly all of my son'a life. Just me and him. We lived in the "hood". It wasn't the worst neighborhood but just one of the ones considered "ghetto" when compared to the surrounding neighborhoods with their big brick houses and manicured lawns.

My family supported me(mentally not financially) while I raised him. I was praised for raising a black son in the hood that ended up receiving a scholarship for VA tech.

Until he went away to college.

If you know anything about Va tech, it's not a "black" school and it's not "urban". It's a very good school located in the mountains of va.

Since attending and joining a fraternity, my son's style has changed. He hangs out with a lot of white people now. His shorts are khaki and he does the whole high ankle socks and button down shirts for casual wear.

He hasn't changed on the inside but he just looks different and hangs out with people who don't look like the kids he grew up with.

I've been getting what I call faux concern comments about him from my elder cousins, aunts, and uncles.

They ask what happened to my son, they ask why he is turning in to a "white boy" and the worst, saying things like he's disrespecting me by hanging out with rich white kids while I work 13 hour shifts to live in the hood.

I'm proud of where I live, what I do for a living, and how far my son has come. I don't care that his friends are white or that they're rich(who even knows?). He's still a good kid.

This is what I've always wanted for him. He's about to be an engineer. I would hate for him to isolate himself at va tech by only associating with other black people. That could affect his later career.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChefLoveMomma
by Culinary Genius on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:52 PM
Go hokies! You sound like a great mom, so hats off to you. Good job to your son for working so hard to get into VA tech. Everything will be just fine, let the haters hate.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've been a single mom nearly all of my son'a life. Just me and him. We lived in the "hood". It wasn't the worst neighborhood but just one of the ones considered "ghetto" when compared to the surrounding neighborhoods with their big brick houses and manicured lawns.

My family supported me(mentally not financially) while I raised him. I was praised for raising a black son in the hood that ended up receiving a scholarship for VA tech.

Until he went away to college.

If you know anything about Va tech, it's not a "black" school and it's not "urban". It's a very good school located in the mountains of va.

Since attending and joining a fraternity, my son's style has changed. He hangs out with a lot of white people now. His shorts are khaki and he does the whole high ankle socks and button down shirts for casual wear.

He hasn't changed on the inside but he just looks different and hangs out with people who don't look like the kids he grew up with.

I've been getting what I call faux concern comments about him from my elder cousins, aunts, and uncles.

They ask what happened to my son, they ask why he is turning in to a "white boy" and the worst, saying things like he's disrespecting me by hanging out with rich white kids while I work 13 hour shifts to live in the hood.

I'm proud of where I live, what I do for a living, and how far my son has come. I don't care that his friends are white or that they're rich(who even knows?). He's still a good kid.

This is what I've always wanted for him. He's about to be an engineer. I would hate for him to isolate himself at va tech by only associating with other black people. That could affect his later career.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Tell them that their concerns are silly and there is nothing to worry about. That's about as nice as I can word it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:57 PM
It's his life and maybe he likes trying new stuff? All you can tell them is he is doing well and working towards a degree.

Momtoone07
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:57 PM
Ignore them and bask in the glory of what a great mom you are! Good luck to him in his future endeavours!
MrsDukati
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:58 PM
I'm sorry your family is filled with racist bigots. Sounds like you you've raised a great kid, who is making good choices. He's just still finding himself. Just support his good choices and be there for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:59 PM
They're probably just jealous that he's going to do great things in life, and by ripping him, it makes them feel better.

I see that daily on here. It's simply jealousy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:59 PM
Your son will be fine. I went to a very preppy school as well, and I'd say at least half of the people have massively toned down how preppy they are since graduating (all races). It's just a contagious atmosphere.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:01 PM

I don't understand the drive to tear down someone who is bettering themselves... Good for your son!!! Your other family members just sound bitter and jealous.

MythrylHavoc
by Data on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:02 PM
You did a good job with him mama.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Kudos to your son for not "dumbing down" to fit other peoples standards. It sounds like he is well adjusted and can fit into just about any environment he so chooses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)