Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for Black Moms (well White moms too)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

If you are white family with an adopted black chid, which is better

1. Send them to a school where they would be the only black kid in the entire school probably unless someone moves here

2.  Homeschool them and drive to a homeschool group 2 hours away once a week that has black kids in it

And NO moving to another area is NOT an option so pelase don't suggest that thankyou

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:03 PM
Homeschooling would not be an option for me. My kid would be going to the all white school.

I'm white.
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Where ever is closest and has the best education
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:04 PM
You could always send them to school and then do after school activities that include other black kids.
MythrylHavoc
by Data on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:05 PM
I don't have a black child, but I don't think that I'd be ok sending them to a school where they would be the only one. I'd be concerned with rude comments and the child feeling awkward and alone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM
If I had an adopted child of any color they'd be treated exactly the same as any blood related kids. No special treatment just because of color, so said child would attend the same school as ds.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:07 PM
Send them to school and see how it goes.

I'm white and my middle and high schools were almost all white.

In middle school, there was 1 black girl. She was there about a week. Don't know where she went.

In high school, there was one black boy. He was student body president and incredibly popular.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Oct. 27, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Our dd is adopted from China, so not black, but a different race. Our area is only 3% Asian. We homeschool both of our kids. We are looking at other districts in the state that have a higher population of Asians as our dd would like to have more Asian kids around. It would benefit our youngest as well since those districts are among the top in the state. 

As an adoptive parent to a minority, you do have to take issues they might face into account and figure out how to navigate them. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Send them to school
*My parents are black, I am mixed (adopted) and I grew up in a predominately white town. I was the only black person who graduated in my class. I never had another black person in my class from Preschool to 12th grade. My brother did, but technically his classmate was Cuban if that really makes a difference. There was a sprinkling of black kids but the were either younger or older.   

PureLoveNJoy
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 3:37 PM
Send them to the local school like any child. You're acting like they're freaks
What is wrong with you?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 28, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Thx for your comment.

On the flip side people might say they should not be the only black kid in the whole school

Quoting PureLoveNJoy: Send them to the local school like any child. You're acting like they're freaks What is wrong with you?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)