Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No that's not a solution

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies
So I live in a town home rental Community. It's generally a pretty nice Community but my new neighbors who have lived there about four to five months are really annoying. They are constantly smoking on the front porch. Like at any given time at least one person is smoking on the front porch so I cannot sit on my front porch and enjoy my front porch most of the time because I can't handle cigarette smoke. At any given time they are using at least four parking spot. We are only supposed to use 3 a househould but the management won't really do anything about it. There's also no assigned parking yet they get mad if people decide to park in what they have deemed their spots. Their kids are also really rude and obnoxious. Instead of walking on sidewalk they walk through my front grass ( which we are responsible for) so now I have a path through my lawn that they walk through. They also knocked over my Pathway lights and drop trash in my yard. It's nothing I can really do about with the exception of the excessive parking but even then all I can do is tell the management and if they don't care nothing's going to be done. Needless to say these people are not my favorite people.

Anyway apparently something has happened with their electricity. All of the town homes are wired separately obviously so there's nothing wrong with my electricity. They are on an end unit so we are their only neighbors. Apparently it's something to do with wiring but for the time being they don't have electricity. Obviously the management cannot continue to force them to pay rent while they live there if they don't have electricity through no fault of their own. What the management decided to do was come knock on my door and not ask but TELL ME that they will be plugging in an extension cord into my living room running it out my door ( leaving a gap in my door) and into their house and then they will plug whatever they need through a series of extension cords. And the funny thing is the management didn't even ask me, they told me they were going to do that. And to be clear we pay our own utilities, it is not included in the rent. I said no way. It's going to take at least two weeks for them to get their electricity back working. There is no way I am number one dealing with a wire going straight through my living room and out my door and number two paying for their electric use. The management ( reluctantly like I'm being unreasonable for not wanting to pay for 2 weeks minimum of someone else's electric use) said that they would pay the difference in my electric bill from last month to this month. No way. Because with this being October my electric bill is going to be considerably lower than it was last month. We live in Florida so while we're still actually using our AC but it's not having to be turned down much as opposed to last month where in the afternoons we were in the mid-nineties now we're barely hitting 80. I told them that if they want to plug the extension cord in they can pay my entire electric bill for the month of October and if they need it more than 2 weeks then they'll pay it for November as well. I said other than that you're not doing it. And I was clear I wanted it in writing so that I could take the amount of the rent and I wouldn't have to worry about them going back on their word. Which I think was smart because at first they seemed open to that idea and then after I mentioned that I wanted it in writing and that I would submit my electric bill to them but I would pay it and then deduct the amount from the rent they didn't want to do it anymore.

The management called the owner of the complex and he called me because he lives out of state. He told me that I have no say in the matter and that they will be coming into my home, as is thir right, to plug in the extension cord and if I don't like it then I can pay my 3 months early termination fee and move out. I told him that if they come into my home and plug it in I will unplug it. And they won't be able to do it when I come home anyway because I have the chain lock which can only be unlocked by somebody on the inside and usually somebody is home at my house so it's not like they'd be able to get away with it anyway. The owner threatened to take me to court for eviction which number one I would be thrilled with moving now. No judge is going to issue an eviction notice because we won't provide electric for my neighbors at no cost to the owner. But if the owner does take us to court we might be able to get the judge to order that our lease is terminated and that we can move out with no strike against us but without having to pay early termination fee. The owner was always hands off and never did anything but around the time we renewed our lease the old manager who was wonderful left and the owner has hired several different property managers throughout the past few months none of them have stayed more than a month or two. We were just riding out our lease because we didn't want to pay 3 months rent early termination. My in-laws have a rental home that we are going to buy once our lease is up. They're not having anybody rent it out right now because they don't want to get stuck with tenants when we will be buying in just a few months. So we could move into it at any time.

Anyway after all of this the neighbor came over and is mad at me! Even knowing the full situation she said that I'm being cheap and greedy.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:32 PM
Bump
DensHag
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:35 PM
6 moms liked this
I would look up tenant laws in my state and talk to an attorney.

None of this sounds legal to me.

Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:36 PM
Of course it's not legal. If the electric is in my name which it is no one else has the right to tap into my electricity. And what the management and the owner are trying to do is actually an abuse of power and borders on harassment that they are threatening eviction for my not complying with something that I have no obligation to comply with

Quoting DensHag: I would look up tenant laws in my state and talk to an attorney.

Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Pretty sure that would be a fire hazard.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:37 PM
Maybe I didn't even think about that. I was actually more thinking about the fact that I'll probably be tripping over that wire for 2 weeks because it literally runs straight through my living room the way they want to do it.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Pretty sure that would be a fire hazard.
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:37 PM
That's crazy. I wouldn't do it either.
PureLoveNJoy
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:38 PM
My only issue is that they have every right to smoke outside on their own porch
Seriously.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:38 PM

That would make me furious. I would say get a lawyer but it sounds like you will be out soon. Don't answer calls from anyone who insists you let them. Don't even dignify their bullshit with a response. If they come in when you're not home unplug it and break it to where it can't be used again. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:38 PM
What was even more crazy was the fact that they acted like how dare I wouldn't do it. You know? The one guy from the management looked at me and said "well what else are we going to do?" Well that's not my problem. And at this point I'm not even willing to do it even if they pay my electric bill because with how nasty they were being about it you know they're going to try to find a way to get out of it

Quoting LilysMama719: That's crazy. I wouldn't do it either.
mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:38 PM
This.

Quoting DensHag: I would look up tenant laws in my state and talk to an attorney.

Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)