• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I finally told my inlaws about their alcoholic son

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
I tried not to at first but I couldn't keep it in.

Starting from the beginning, dh's family has always loved me. We met in high school. He was a jock from another school and I was a quiet down to earth girl. I went to college and then we settled down, married, and had 2 kids. It was exactly the life they wanted for him.

Our kids are now 6 and 3 and he's an alcoholic. He goes out 5-6 nights a week. He comes home and argues, wrecks the house, and sometimes wakes up still drunk and tries to drive our son to school.

So I left him. I moved out and took the kids(we had spoken about this arrangement and it was agreed the kids were going with me). Divorce is being filed.

He's been like this since our daughter was born and we've tried counseling. He just won't stop.

His mother and sister were upset with me. They don't see this side of him expect at an occasional family get togethers and they think that's just him letting loose once in a while. They don't see the side of him that flipped a table over one Wednesday night.

It got to the point that MIL said she was going to stop watching the kids for doing this to dh.

So I finally told her why. She believed me and explained that her late dh was also an alcoholic while dh was growing up.

She's treating me well again and watching the kids while i work. I hate that I had to air our dirty laundry but she's been a support system and someone I looked up to since high school. It felt wrong to keep her in the dark about her son
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mandy575
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:51 PM

hugs

MamaBlade
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:54 PM

I told my dh family about his drinking they attacked me for letting it happen.....  like i made him drink... and that i was pouring it in his month

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Honestly, don't think of it has airing out your dirty laundry - you did everything you should have done (tried counseling, tried helping him, etc.) and he didn't follow through. His mother needed to know what was dgoing on. I am sure she wouldn't want her son acting that way towards you or her grandkids, you know? It's hard realizing that your child has a problem. I'm glad that you got yourself and your children out of that situation. Hopefully your husband will get the help he needs, especially because now he's going to be seeing in a different manner how he's lost his family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:59 PM
I tried that. They took his side. Ex fil is still mad at me for leaving his son. Whatever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 3:29 PM

My husbands mom always knew __ how could she not?! He was an addict though

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 28, 2016 at 9:10 AM

((hugs))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)