• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Post office question

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 3:55 PM
  • 21 Replies
I ordered a t-shirt online. I received an email confirmation that it was delivered by the US postal service in my mailbox. The confirmation gave the date and exact time. The package was not delivered to me.
I called the 1 800 number for the postal service and they took the information and said I would have a resolution in 1-3 business days.
Local post office called me. We reviewed information.
When a package is delivered it is scanned and gps shows exactly where it was delivered.
I was contacted again last night by post office and the supervisor said they were working on it and would contact me today.
Post office called today.
They know where it was delivered. The person at that address is not answering the door (or not home).
Post office said they cannot do any more for me. I was instructed to contact the seller.

Shouldn't the post office get my package back or file a complaint to the person they delivered it to? Shouldn't the post office refund me since they were at fault?

The t- shirt was $12 but the cost is beside the point. It was the postal worker's fault not the vendor.
What should I do besides contact the seller and let them know? Can I call the 1-800 number for the US postal service and file a complaint? Would that do anything?

Update- really nice customer service person from t-shirt company is sending me a new shirt.
I'm still ticked about USPS. I will know who the dishonest neighbor is if I see a kid wearing this shirt- it is unique.
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 3:58 PM
Can you leave a note with the neighbor? When UPS did that to me the lady told me to go knock on the guy's door, and I told her no that wasn't my responsibility their employee could go do it. She said bla bla bla bla bla so I hung up on her, and I called Amazon who overnighted me a replacement.
KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:03 PM

I believe it is on the seller, so yes, that person is out of money.    The USPS could try to contact the other address becauase it is a a FEDERAL offense to keep mail that doesn't belong to you, but I don't think they really have much recourse.    The seller knows this is a potential problem. 

Happicamper
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:04 PM
I will not go to where I believe it was delivered.
We live on ---circle and I think it was delivered to---drive.
The address is often confused with ours. Last month I had two parole officers at my door very confused because they were quite sure the person they were looking for did not live in our neighborhood. Not to be snooty but, our address is very nice. The ---drive address is not so nice.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Can you leave a note with the neighbor? When UPS did that to me the lady told me to go knock on the guy's door, and I told her no that wasn't my responsibility their employee could go do it. She said bla bla bla bla bla so I hung up on her, and I called Amazon who overnighted me a replacement.
Matka_Kinder
by Tina on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Did the seller put on the wrong address or is the mail carrier illiterate?

Molz09
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:05 PM
That's on the seller actually. That's why a lot of companies pay for insurance on packages.
Shadowgirl113
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:06 PM
Contact the seller. They'll file a claim with the post office and get the shipping and money back and reship
Happicamper
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:06 PM
Well, bummer!
I think it is a federal offense to keep mail that is. It yours as well. Seems like the post office would do something about it.
Like I said, the t-shirt was cheap but I still wanted it. It is more of a principle thing now.

Quoting KenneMaw:

I believe it is on the seller, so yes, that person is out of money.    The USPS could try to contact the other address becauase it is a a FEDERAL offense to keep mail that doesn't belong to you, but I don't think they really have much recourse.    The seller knows this is a potential problem. 

Happicamper
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:09 PM
Carrier issue. We live on - Circle. There is a - Drive near us that is often confused.
I am not certain that is where it was delivered.
The post office knows where it went. They scan every package so it was tracked by gps before it went in the box.

Quoting Matka_Kinder:

Did the seller put on the wrong address or is the mail carrier illiterate?

Happicamper
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:10 PM
Thank you. I have a call in to the company. I am waiting for them to call me back to resolve the issue.
I just wanted the t-shirt. I caught it on a flash sale for $12. It is normally $20.

Quoting Shadowgirl113: Contact the seller. They'll file a claim with the post office and get the shipping and money back and reship
Happicamper
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:12 PM
Thank you. I have contacted the seller and am waiting for them to return my call.

Quoting Shadowgirl113: Contact the seller. They'll file a claim with the post office and get the shipping and money back and reship
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)