• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
Ok, so this might sound like a stupid question to some of you but I'm going back and forth.

I just got hired on at Sephora. Not the best paying job at all. They wouldn't even give me $12/hr. Fucking ridiculous. Anyway, I put on my application that I couldn't work Sunday and Monday. I'm going to go to makeup school to get more editorial work. Well, they railroaded me into waiting to go to school (I'm a pushover it's my fault) and working Sunday and Monday through the holiday season so I could go after that. I didn't have the funds at the time so I was going to be making payments to the school so I was like whatever fine. I knew I'd regret it and now I resent them for it railroading me. They completely manipulated me and now I have the funds to go to school and pay outright.

My question is.....should I stay at a shitty paying job that I don't need the money for but would be the only current employment on my resume (school does jobs I can use as employment too) but I'll probably enjoy if I get over this or should I say screw it and go to school?

UPDATE: So I enrolled in school then called my boss and told her that I couldn't work Sunday or Monday. She wasn't happy (I could tell by her tone) but she said to just change my availability and that I will be working every Friday night and Saturday. Sucks but at least I have both worlds. I can't use this on my resume though so I don't know why I'm staying other than a paycheck which will be tiny. It will pay my car payment and insurance and childcare though for my youngest which will be nice. So I guess it's not a complete dud. Oh well. I got both so I am happy. As long as they don't start treating me like shit.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
You should go do your schooling now. You say you hate them for railroading you into not going....but it was 100% your fault. You choose your own actions. Be mad at yourself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:47 PM
Find a better job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:49 PM
Don't blame them. You agreed to it.

And it's a retail job, you shouldn't expect awesome pay.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:50 PM
I know it was my fault for allowing it.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You should go do your schooling now. You say you hate them for railroading you into not going....but it was 100% your fault. You choose your own actions. Be mad at yourself.
LeftieX
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:50 PM
Start looking for a better job. Don't wait on school if you want to go now. Unless you need the money to live on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:51 PM
Average pay for Sephora is 11.00-14.00. I'm an esthetian. I think that should count for something. That was what they were excited about.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Don't blame them. You agreed to it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:52 PM
Oh, honey, bless your heart.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:53 PM

I'd say screw it. School is more important. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:56 PM

unfortunately despite what you think they dont think so and they are the ones that cut the paycheck.  Its a job if you want to work and have work history and good work ethic on your record keep the job.  If you dont give a shit then quit its not that hard to make a decison like this.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Average pay for Sephora is 11.00-14.00. I'm an esthetian. I think that should count for something. That was what they were excited about.
Quoting Anonymous 4: Don't blame them. You agreed to it. And it's a retail job, you shouldn't expect awesome pay.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:04 PM
Maybe not for you. This is a temporary position so I'm going to get laid off in January anyway. So it won't be an issue for school. I just want to get my career started now. I don't think that's too much to ask of myself.

I do think this is a big decision. It is for me at least.

Quoting Anonymous 7:

unfortunately despite what you think they dont think so and they are the ones that cut the paycheck.  Its a job if you want to work and have work history and good work ethic on your record keep the job.  If you dont give a shit then quit its not that hard to make a decison like this.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Average pay for Sephora is 11.00-14.00. I'm an esthetian. I think that should count for something. That was what they were excited about.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Don't blame them. You agreed to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)