Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DOG OWNERS-Have you ever...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies
Successfully trained an aggressive dog? I was visiting a friend for a couple days and we couldn't get the dog to stop barking and snarling at me. It really only happened in the house. He let me play fetch in the dog park with him but when back at the house he got aggressive again. We tried introducing me slowly with his trainer and me giving him treats but it didn't really help. Anytime I moved around the house he would go nuts. He is trained otherwise and listens to commands so we are pretty stumped. We realize it is a territorial issue but my friend us,really at her wits end. The other issue is my friend is extremely against any type of negative is reinforcement. So that's a challenge! Has anyone dealt with a situation like this? How did you train your dog not to bark and lunge at guests in the house?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:01 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM
Bump
DanaG70
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't own an aggressive dog.
Here's a bump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:04 PM

The dog might just need more time to get to know you. We had family come and visit us for a week. Our dog barked at them every time they came in the house or moved from room to room. He would stop right away tho. I think he just wasn't use to them being around. Some dogs are just super territorial and need time to warm up. Not really sure what you do about that tho. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:05 PM
She's had him since a puppy and this is new behavior.

Quoting DanaG70: I wouldn't own an aggressive dog.
Here's a bump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Nope.  That is a disaster waiting to happen

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:08 PM
That's why she is trying to find a solution.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Nope.  That is a disaster waiting to happen

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:09 PM
We rescued our dog when she was 5 months old and we are pretty certain she was abused. She hated men and would growl and try to bite them every time they came over. We would separate her from them but slowly we tried to teach her to be around them, it just took a lot of consistent discipline. Be patient but firm. But also make sure you give them enough love so it's not all discipline because that would just make it worse.
DanaG70
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:11 PM
I've had both my dogs since they were pups as well, I will not own an aggressive dog. One of my dogs is very protective, but she doesn't act aggressively after I've introduced her to people.
Look up dog training schools, maybe they can help.

Quoting Anonymous 1: She's had him since a puppy and this is new behavior.

Quoting DanaG70: I wouldn't own an aggressive dog.
Here's a bump.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)