Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allergy testing?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

Ds breaks out in hives its pretty random, I have not been able to pin it to anything. So i took a picture and showed the pedi our last visit, He gets it all over his back and face, she suggested allergy testing.

I know when my brother was tested it was a blood draw, but mil is freaking out saying they are going to poke him with tiny needles all over his back. What do they normally do for 5 year olds? mil suggested skipping it if they are going to poke him with needles, but i kinda need to know why he breaks out in hives so i don't think that's a good idea.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Skin testing isn't what it used to be.

They used individual needles when I was a child.  It's now called scratch testing and they using something that scratches the skin and they test for multiple things at one time.  So so much better than when I was 5...but that was over 30 years ago.

jslpruitt
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:14 PM
They did a blood draw for both of my girls. One is 8 and other is 4
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Scratch testing is way more accurate. 

Sometimes you have to put kids through uncomfortable medical procedures. That's life. I'd tell MIL to shove it up her ass, you want your kid healthy.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:20 PM

I don't know about kids, but I had it done 4 years ago. I had to lay down, they ran a roller with tiny needles on my back and I laid there for an hour. Then, they came in and checed my back. They put numbers on my arm and did individual needles of allergens and I sat for another hour. All in all, it's not bad. It's itchy, but not horrible. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:22 PM
Telk your MIL to back off. Why does she feel she gets a say in how his medical testing goes?
bethanymommy
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:24 PM
Both of my girls had the scratch tests done. It was not fun... But it was necessary.
Prepare yourself. It will probably be hard, and your baby will cry, and you may cry. But it doesn't take long at all and it is worth it to know what they are allergic to!
Much better than random hives happening all the time!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:32 PM
Quoting mcginnisc:

I don't know about kids, but I had it done 4 years ago. I had to lay down, they ran a roller with tiny needles on my back and I laid there for an hour. Then, they came in and checed my back. They put numbers on my arm and did individual needles of allergens and I sat for another hour. All in all, it's not bad. It's itchy, but not horrible. 

I hope thats what they do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:34 PM

I have had to put his whole family in line when it comes to ds. Especially when he gets sick. One time mil took us to a doctors appointment and argued with the pedi. smh.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Telk your MIL to back off. Why does she feel she gets a say in how his medical testing goes?

MrsBieg
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:36 PM
They really don't do the subcutaneous injections anymore. The scratch test they did on my son 7 years ago had "needles" but doc put a bunch of the all on one applicator and barely poked him with it...hence the name scratch test. Of course, they will probably also do a blood draw.

And tell your MIL to switch to the decaf...seriously.

Don't text and drive.  

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:39 PM
We had a blood draw done.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)