Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weird ADHD / ADD meds question.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
There is this child who I think is a genius, like a really high IQ, his parents had a bad divorce last year, mom is having financial problems and she admits she is not smart.

Last year the teacher was able to keep the kid engaged and busy in the classroom but at home he is bored, all over the place, asking mom to get him information to read, like the periodic table and mom hardly knows what that is.

During the summer he was sent to a summer camp for kids with ADHD and put on medication. The problem is that now he's not focus in school, not caring about his work and being mediocre, things he was not before.

I honestly believe he is NOT ADHD and the medication he was put on is messing him up, I think he needs to go to a school for gifted kids, not just a gifted class in a normal school.

Could the new ADHD medications on be causing all the new problems?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:22 PM
What medication was he put on?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:27 PM
I honestly don't know. I'm just guessing here.

I think if your blood pressure is normal and you are given medication for high blood pressure your body is going to go out of whack.

Quoting Anonymous 2: What medication was he put on?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:28 PM
I don't know if I can do that. But I do know that you're not going to be put on ADHD medication at summer camp. also this is not your kid and not your decision if he's on medication or not. There is obviously something a doctor and his parents saw that indicated he needed medication for ADHD or he probably wouldn't be at ADHD camp
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:30 PM
I'd trust the prescribing physician's judgement before some random person who admittedly has no idea what they are talking about as to whether ADHD medication is/is not indicated in this particular individual.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I honestly don't know. I'm just guessing here.

I think if your blood pressure is normal and you are given medication for high blood pressure your body is going to go out of whack.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I know is not my kid and I also know that parents sometimes push really hard for a diagnosis when they can't handle a child.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I don't know if I can do that. But I do know that you're not going to be put on ADHD medication at summer camp. also this is not your kid and not your decision if he's on medication or not. There is obviously something a doctor and his parents saw that indicated he needed medication for ADHD or he probably wouldn't be at ADHD camp
kristinm87
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:32 PM
It sounds like you're not this kid's parent or doctor, so I'd butt out if I were you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:33 PM
I'm not going to give an opinion, I'm curious about the effect of ADHD medication in someone who doesn't need it.

I put the backstory because people here don't like questions without back stories... and sadly, they don't like backstories either.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'd trust the prescribing physician's judgement before some random person who admittedly has no idea what they are talking about as to whether ADHD medication is/is not indicated in this particular individual.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I honestly don't know. I'm just guessing here.

cookiemonster77
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:35 PM

Yes if you have ADHD and are hyper- they give you something like Ritalin and it calms you back to a normal level. If you have add and they give you Ritalin it brings you back up to a more focused level. It's weird how the same drug does the opposite depending on if you have ADD or ADHD.

now, too much Ritalin for a kid with ADHD can make them extremely mopey and depressed. How does a dr figure out how much meds to give? They guess!!! The first meds my son ever took the Dr gave my 50 pound son the same dosage that I was given at 130 pounds! He would sit on the floor and sob and be completely inconsolable. I had to go back to the dr several times before we found what was right for him. Sometimes it was dosage, sometimes he needed a completely different type of medication. An dover the years as the kids grow they need to readjust the dosage. 

Please tell the mom to call the dr to schedule an appt asap! Over medication can lead to suicidal thoughts. 

PJMM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:35 PM
It could just be he's bored and doesn't care. All i know is what a friend of mine told me.. She once tried adderall. She said she felt jittery and couldn't sleep. Ds13 never liked the meds but i think he felt nauseated.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:35 PM
Why is it that one asks a question out of curiosity and people jump to the conclusion that you are butting in?

Quoting kristinm87: It sounds like you're not this kid's parent or doctor, so I'd butt out if I were you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)