Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yes, I said Church Helps.

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:42 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this
A friend of mine is going through a very tough time. He's very depressed and doesn't have insurance so a therapist is kind of out of the question.

He asked me for advice to get over the emotional hump and I suggested church. He's a Christian but hasn't gone to church since he was a teen because the types of churches he went to (Catholic/Episcopal) were boring. I told him try a Baptist or Pentecostal church.

He was surprised that I, as a Atheist would suggest that and even more volunteer to go with him.

Here's the thing. I like church. I may not agree with everything but there is no doubt that all the jumping, singing, hugs, camaraderie and letting all your problems go feels good. And most of the time people feel good for a while after doing that, especially if they believe in that sort of thing.

So we're going to my SILs church this Sunday.
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:43 PM
For some reason I've always thought you were African American, lol are you?? Kinda weird too I had a dream last night about you....
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:00 PM
I am. What was I doing in your dream.

Quoting Anonymous 1: For some reason I've always thought you were African American, lol are you?? Kinda weird too I had a dream last night about you....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:01 PM
Most people that are Atheist know how to spell it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:02 PM
Churches can help him connect to people too. And maybe get some counseling etc.
Libby22
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:03 PM
I've always been an atheist at heart but was baptized and confirmed Lutheran. I always loved the rituals, traditions and cameraderie associated with church. I found it calming even if I didn't believe it..... like a meditation. I think you gave great advice and sound like a good friend.
lilblu399
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:03 PM
I'm an Episcopalian, we are quite boring compared to more livelier churches, lol. Anyway he could call/email the pastor? Maybe they can meet and talk before the service. I know my former paster(He has since passed away) loved meeting and talking with new people outside of church service.
tsatske2
by Latricia on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Tell him to also call some of the bigger churches in the area and see if they have counseling services for those that can't afford them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:04 PM
Lol something to do with dogs lol 😐, I'm pregnant and dream some random shit all the fuckin time

Quoting AliKatAK47: I am. What was I doing in your dream.

Quoting Anonymous 1: For some reason I've always thought you were African American, lol are you?? Kinda weird too I had a dream last night about you....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Going to church was a good suggestion for him.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:07 PM
I swear I spelled it right originally. Then for some reason my brain was like "that doesn't look right".

I've been spelling it right.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Most people that are Atheist know how to spell it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)