Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Interesting turn regarding my son's genetic testing

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:52 PM
  • 9 Replies
The children's hospital called and said that since all of my son's genetic tests have come back clear, they now want to do genetic testing on me and his father. This will allow them to compare genetics to see if my son has any discrepencies that are not in alignment with the DNA we passed down.

This is so fascinating.

They don't really expect to find anything because they suspect he has something called VACTERLS, but the only way they can diagnose it is by ruling out all other possibilities.

So, I get genetics testing at no additional charge because it is covered under my son's already covered testing. Cool.
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
firespurity
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:53 PM
Genetics are so interesting, and terrifying in some cases.
Libby22
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:56 PM
That's so cool! When AJ was born they took his blood for genomic testing. We found out he should never have codeine as he could have a bad reaction. I've had genetic testing done for familial Amyloidosis, which is currently ravaging my dad's side of the family.

Genetics are fascinating. I'm on the bandwagon of th more information, the better.
Trouser.Mouse
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:04 PM
It is totally fascinating to me. The amount of knowledge we have and the fact there is so much we don't know, it is unbelievable.

Quoting firespurity: Genetics are so interesting, and terrifying in some cases.
Trouser.Mouse
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:17 PM
It's amazing what they can do. Did they find anything with your testing?

Quoting Libby22: That's so cool! When AJ was born they took his blood for genomic testing. We found out he should never have codeine as he could have a bad reaction. I've had genetic testing done for familial Amyloidosis, which is currently ravaging my dad's side of the family.

Genetics are fascinating. I'm on the bandwagon of th more information, the better.
rachel216
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:21 PM
Gentic are definitely fascinating for sure! And that's awesome his test came back clear and that your test will be covered!! Did they tell you anything about the condition they think he may have?
Libby22
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:26 PM
I was negative thank goodness. Only the Mayo Clinic performs this particular test, because the disease is so rare. Unfortunately, if you have the gene, you have 50% chance of passing it on. If you have the gene, you WILL succumb to the disease. It's a horrific disease I'm watching my father suffer with now and my grandmother die from. The amyloids attacked her intestines until she basically starved to death. My dad has already had a liver transplant which bought him a few years.

My sister and I do not have the gene. I wanted to be tested before deciding whether to have children. It was nerve wracking knowing if I had the gene, that was my eventual death sentence.

My three aunts and uncle have it. I do not know about all my cousins.

Quoting Trouser.Mouse: It's amazing what they can do. Did they find anything with your testing?

Quoting Libby22: That's so cool! When AJ was born they took his blood for genomic testing. We found out he should never have codeine as he could have a bad reaction. I've had genetic testing done for familial Amyloidosis, which is currently ravaging my dad's side of the family.

Stephw1110
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:34 PM
I was diagnosed with VACTERLS back in the early 80s, granted back then it was VATERS. It took them quite a while to diagnose me back then. Of course there wasn't the genetic testing then as there is now. Hope you find your answers soon!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Nice. My experience with genetic testing is that you really need to make sure whoever is ordering the tests really knows what they are doing. We had a )very highly regarded) medical center miss a diagnosis because they didn't run the full complement of tests. But I'm sure it's a different situation than your son's.

.MiaBella.
by Mia on Oct. 28, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Interesting!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)