Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We have 8 dollars for food :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
I'm starving. I eat once a day. Thankfully I stocked up on baby food last time I got paid so my dd has food to eat.

A little back story, I just left my job as a server for an hourly position that pays 10 an hour. I get paid every 2 weeks. Around the time I quit as a server my husband who is a cook was in a car accident that messed his spleen up. They told him 3 weeks but after the doctors appointment today they said it would be another 3 weeks or he could risk rupturing his spleen and being out for longer.

We have 8 dollars in WIC to spend on fruits and veggies. I was thinking about just buying heads of cabbage and cooking that. Do you think 3 heads of cabbage will last until Monday or do you have a suggestion for another vegetable that we could get more use out of? I'm trying to make the 8 dollars stretch as far as possible.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spacedementia
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:05 PM
There's nobody you could borrow money/food from?

I would do potatoes or carrots, they're more filling.
FoxForceFive
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:07 PM
Any food pantrys nearby?
-42-
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Jesus Christ, that much cabbage and there will be enough gas to kill a city block.

Get stuff to make a big pot of soup.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:07 PM
What store do you shop at? Check out their sale ad online and see what's on sale.

Also, food banks...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:08 PM
We don't have any family in the area and I feel like a loser asking my friends. I don't have a "best friend", all of my friends are just people I know from work that I've occasionally gone out with. I don't feel comfortable asking them. My mom has already wired me money to help keep us afloat so i don't want to owe her more.

Quoting spacedementia: There's nobody you could borrow money/food from?

I would do potatoes or carrots, they're more filling.
4ofSpades
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Go to a food bank and call churches

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:09 PM
We have a few options. I think the cheapest would be Aldi's or maybe Walmart. Aldi's is across town though so I would rather save my gas money and just walk to Walmart since it's across the street from my job.

Quoting Anonymous 2: What store do you shop at? Check out their sale ad online and see what's on sale.

Also, food banks...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:10 PM
I would at least get some potatoes, and maybe a few bananas
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:10 PM
What ingredients do u have at home to go with this?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have WIC you should also be eligible for food stamps. Does your community have food pantries? If you have a local United Way they may be able to provide a referral. I hope you consider these options. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)