Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you teach your child to tie their shoes?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

I have tried to teach my 7 and 8 year olds without success.  Someone else taught my 13 year old how to do it.  How long did it take your child to learn when you taught him/her?  My children got impatient after doing it unsuccessfully a few times. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 1, 2016 at 5:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GhostWriter85
by Exotic Butters on Nov. 1, 2016 at 5:25 AM

BUMP!

GhostWriter85
by Exotic Butters on Nov. 1, 2016 at 5:28 AM

gave you a bump because i'm no help mine started out of nowhere at four after watching me tie mine. before that she had velcro. I got her shoes for preschool and she came out with then tied. I would have thought DH did it but he was off at a week long training. So it was me and her

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 5:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, that's a big part of the issue these days with kids in general.  They live in an instantaneous world, and generally don't have patience at an age-appropriate level.  They aren't expected to live through a short car ride or the wait at the bank or a restaurant without an electronic device to entertain them.  

They also don't have much in the way of perseverance with a task, or handling adversity/lack of success.  Parents put a tremendous amount of effort into smoothing out their path and removing every little struggle that they may encounter along the way.  So when they finally do encounter some little challenge or bump in the road, they don't know how to handle it.

As a teacher of 25 years, I can tell you, that has probably been one of the biggest changes I've seen in our kids.  My suggestion to you is that you stick with it.  Keep showing them, and make them keep practicing.  There's not a magic switch that's going to flip here.  It just comes down to good, old-fashioned hard work . . . practice and perseverance.  And most kids need to work on those skill, just as much (if not more) than they need to actually learn to tie their shoes.  This is a good opportunity to practice patience, perseverance, etc.

A couple of other tips that might help.  Go to the drug store, Walmart or Target and buy some flat, cotton shoestrings to put in their shoes.  They are so much easier to tie, and keep tied, than the slick, round shoestrings that come in shoes these days.

Also, children can generally master a skill in gross-motor mode before they master it in fine-motor mode.  So have them practice the necessary steps using a jump rope or other large section of rope.  Make sure it's about 5-6 feet long, and have them sit on it, so their bottom holds it in place.  Then take the length of rope that sticks out on either side, and practice the steps by tying it in their lap.  Once they master the steps, and get a sense of the amount of pressure/tension that you need to make the knot hold, then switch them back to the small version.

There are also videos on YouTube of alternative methods for tying shoes.

Good luck! :)

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I have tried to teach my 7 and 8 year olds without success.  Someone else taught my 13 year old how to do it.  How long did it take your child to learn when you taught him/her?  My children got impatient after doing it unsuccessfully a few times. 

macksmom716
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 5:46 AM
I used shoes that weren't on their feet. It's easier for them to manipulate the laces when they don't feel like their doing it backwards. There was a Disney junior show that showed me how to show them. Maybe you can YouTube videos that can show you the best way to show them kwim?
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:27 AM

By showing them and having them try it. They were tying them within the day. I just taught the child I babysit for in an hour maybe less. Now they arent tied well but they are tied. 

corticosteroid
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:30 AM

We used a tying frame, it's basically an empty picture frame with ribbons attached to it, the kids practiced tying bows with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:43 AM
Are you using the 2 bunny ears method or the wrap around method? Bunny ears is easiest.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:49 AM

I don't know how my two oldest learned, they just did it by thesleves one day. My youngest learned from a girl at summer camp but even then he still couldn't get it right so he made up his own way to tie. He makes tow knots and then puts the ends of the laces through the top knot and then pulls it all tight. I've never seen it done before butt it is always a tight tie and he never has to redo them during the day. 

Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:54 AM

Youtube video!  We watched it together as each one attempted to tie their shoes.

2babymomma
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:46 AM
I haven't tried with my 7 year old but my 10 year old was taught by one of her little friends when they were in prek.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)