Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When older kids throw toddler tantrums....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Seriously. If it were my kid, he'd have been taken home and not allowed to continue trick or treating.

He's TEN. And threw himself down on the ground crying, screaming, yelling, and KICKING AT EVERYONE WHO WALKED BY (not just the rest of our group, but random people, he even tripped a little girl that looked to be around 5 while he was kicking around) and his mom didn't say a word to him, except for "Get up" when she was ready to move on to the next house.

Why was he throwing that tantrum?? Because my kids had already been to the house (the road was so packed, I got three kids out of our car, let them trick or treat as we walked, and still made it to our destination before DH did trying to drive) and "That's my friend's house and you shouldn't have went before I was able to come out."

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 1, 2016 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Who is this kid to you?

cosmical
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 8:41 AM

Barf.

left.drowning
by Fix Me on Nov. 1, 2016 at 8:41 AM
Don't worry about it. It isn't your problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 8:45 AM

A friend of my son's.

We were going there to do a pot luck supper and trick or treat in their neighborhood. We were running late so I let my kids ToT part of the neighborhood (we did the main entrance, and ToTed with them as they went down their road and side streets, and just stood back as they went to houses we'd been to).

Quoting corticosteroid:

Who is this kid to you?

madamlunna213
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 8:47 AM
Not your monkeys not your Rodeo
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 8:52 AM

Sort of was. I was stuck with him for the rest of the evening.

DH and I were so over it, we didn't even eat supper. We let the kids ToT and eat, then just left the food we brought and went home.

The incident I described was just the first public tantrum. He acted out even more, especially while the kids were eating supper. Like, his cousin drank the last bit (seriously, wasn't even half of a small cup) of ONE of the three gallons of tea. THAT last little bit "THAT WAS MINE!" and then he punched the kid, making him drop it on the floor.

Quoting madamlunna213: Not your monkeys not your Rodeo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:13 AM
I would have told my kids friend mom to take him home. My son just turned 2 kept running off into the road. My neighborhood was not busy or cars coming. And was able to grab him before hand. I told him if he kept it up he was going home and sitting with papa and hand out candy instead of going.
StarLight23
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

When older kids throw tantrums, I automatically think, special needs and that I understand. It's not always a case of a kid being 'bad' but different, so I don't judge.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:24 AM
Exactly!

Get off your judgemental perch.

Quoting StarLight23:

When older kids throw tantrums, I automatically think, special needs and that I understand. It's not always a case of a kid being 'bad' but different, so I don't judge.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:32 AM

My 10 and 8 year old walked away from me ONCE. Because my 4 year old fell. I had to help her up and find her bag and black shoe in the dark. While I was doing that, they took it upon themselves to walk to the next house. I told them then, "If I have to hunt or call you down one more time for any reason, you're finished for the night."

All she said to him was "Get up, let's go to the next house." After her three year old got his candy from that house and finished talking (he's a talkative little guy) to the owners. It was my three kids, him, his brother, two of his cousins, and a little girl I'd never met before with me, the tantrum thrower's mom and grandma, and that girls' parents. That boy kept hitting and kicking his cousins, he hit my 8 year old once and I told him, "Look, I'm not going to punish him if he hits you back." At that point I was kind of hoping one of those boys would stand up for themselves. He was "playing" and threw his mask (one of those hard plastic Jason masks) and it hit his 3 year old brother in the back of the head. And she ignored it all like it was normal behavior.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would have told my kids friend mom to take him home. My son just turned 2 kept running off into the road. My neighborhood was not busy or cars coming. And was able to grab him before hand. I told him if he kept it up he was going home and sitting with papa and hand out candy instead of going.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)