Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if you have a first grader...

Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
How often do they cry and what sort of things upset them?

I'm having some trouble with my daughter. I feel concerned for her with how emotional she has become, but I'm not sure if maybe I'm just too much of a worrier and her bahaviors may be just normal or a phase. Looking for some insight. Thanks.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:13 AM

I have a Kindergartener, she has cried once due to a school-related incident, some kid (a first grader) punched her in the face on the bus and gave her a black eye.

by Emerald Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:13 AM
My son only really cried at that age when something really bad happened, like he got really hurt or someone died. But all kids are didn't. How do you react?
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:18 AM
It's normal for young kids to get emotional, my daughter is 6 in 1st grade an she is completely happy but if something upset her she will cry, not always but 50% of the time. Talk to her though she may be going through something?🤔😯 is it a specific time she becomes emotional like is she hungry or sleepy when it begins or it's all the time? My daughter turns into a crybaby when she's tired...
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:19 AM
My first grader is a major crier. Everything. All the time lol. I just try to talk through each situation as it arises. She cried yesterday because her best friend didn't dress in the same costume as her (had told her she would). She cried the Friday before because she missed the ball while playing kickball and the class laughed at her. She cried this morning before school because she wanted a cupcake and candy corn for breakfast and I said no. She cried on the way to school because I told her I'd have to cancel her eye doctor appointment for today because I have to take my car into the shop (started making a weird noise). She cried because I had her get out of the car at drop-off before "her song" was done playing on the radio. She cries if I look at her funny lol.
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Some kids are more sensitive than others but most of the time, I find that it's a phase they go through.

My DD who is actually pretty tough, went through a crying stage last year (when she was 7); as in everything made her cry and we were confused because normally, she just rolls with the punches.  We talked about it and told her that instead of crying, to talk about it; that we can only help her if she speaks, not cries, about things that don't really hurt her but upsets her.  

So talk to your child about it; that you don't understand crying but you do understand words....this will help her process her feelings and think about what she's feeling so she can communicate to you.

by Petty Princess on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:41 AM
He used to cry often. He's so much better this year and is having therapy to learn how to control his anger
by Póg mo thóin on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:44 AM

My daughter is in first grade.  She doesn't cry a lot, but she's sensitive to discipline... basically, if we have to discipline her, she can sometimes take it rather personally and starts crying or gets overly upset.  She's always been like that though.  She doesn't cry over school related things, though.

by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:45 AM

My son is crying over everything. Having trouble putting on his shirt, someone is in tha bathroom and I told him to brush his teeth, he can't get the covers right when he makes his bed, he forgot to charge his ipad....

He's going through a thing.

by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:46 AM
My 1st grader is a cryer. He cries if something doesn't go how he thought it would or if he gets in trouble. He's extremely sensitive. Usually it helps if I let him have a moment to himself to get it out then I redirect him.
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:50 AM

mine is Kindergarten and 4.5 yo and she is not a crier, she is more agressive when upset, loud and stomps off only cries when she is hurt..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)