Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler with anxiety?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

DS just turned 2. He's a little particular about things. He perceives the way things should be and freaks out if things are out of kilter. For example, if he notices that the dog's water is empty he'll follow me around practically crying "Ricky! Wa-er!" until I pick up the dish and fill it.

We typically have a family prayer before the older two go out the door to catch the bus. The one time he wasn't in the room with us and I went ahead with the prayer without him he freaked and started crying because he missed it. Now, I make sure to wait for him and he'll come running out with his hand outstretched and saying with a note of panic in his voice, "prayer! prayer!"

If I leave the room and he doesn't know what I'm doing he'll run behind me with his hand outstretched calling for me with that panicked tone.

It's like he has to be in control of everything. Not in a bossy sort of way, but just that if things aren't the way that he thinks they should be he panics. My other two never did anything like this and it just doesn't seem like normal behavior.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I have an almost 2 year old. He randomly has mini meltdowns about things. That's just what toddlers do. As long as he's generally happy and health I wouldn't worry about anxiety issues just yet.
Jojobug13
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
2 yr olds are a pain in the butt in general. 2 yr olds don't suffer from anxiety issues. They suffer from 2 yr old toddler bratitis.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:02 AM

I totally expect the melt downs over things like this. http://crappypictures.com/my-official-re-entry-into-the-terrible-twos/  It's not like that with him.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I have an almost 2 year old. He randomly has mini meltdowns about things. That's just what toddlers do. As long as he's generally happy and health I wouldn't worry about anxiety issues just yet.

oryxx31
by Captain Cook on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM
Little kids thrive on routine, some more than others. I have a very routine oriented four year old that used to be much more rigid around two or three, to the point where for a couple of months, she didn't want to go do some of her favorite things because "kids might be there and they could be loud." She would even verbalized that she was nervous, didn't like it... We just took it slow and when she started school this September, after about a month it was just about gone. Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:07 AM
I think you're too focused on the what. It really can be anything at all. This morning mine was flipping out over wearing shoes.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I totally expect the melt downs over things like this. http://crappypictures.com/my-official-re-entry-into-the-terrible-twos/  It's not like that with him.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I have an almost 2 year old. He randomly has mini meltdowns about things. That's just what toddlers do. As long as he's generally happy and health I wouldn't worry about anxiety issues just yet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Thanks. Like I said, neither of my other two acted like this and just the way he panics when something is out of kilter. Not a tantrum, but like he's afraid that something bad is going to happen if things aren't just so.

Quoting oryxx31: Little kids thrive on routine, some more than others. I have a very routine oriented four year old that used to be much more rigid around two or three, to the point where for a couple of months, she didn't want to go do some of her favorite things because "kids might be there and they could be loud." She would even verbalized that she was nervous, didn't like it... We just took it slow and when she started school this September, after about a month it was just about gone. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:11 AM
My son was a lot like that at his age. One doctor insists it's anxiety but another diagnosed him as on the autism spectrum when he was 5. It does sound very much like anxiety though. He needs consistency to feel safe. If something is not consistent he feels unsafe.
oryxx31
by Captain Cook on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:15 AM
Emma did a lot of that exact same thing. I can tell that she's always going to be a perfectionist. But as she's gotten older and her ability to communicate grew, she gets better and better. Just keep encouraging him to use his words, take a minute to get calm. I know I worried myself into a frenzy about it, and when I calmed down she did as well.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Thanks. Like I said, neither of my other two acted like this and just the way he panics when something is out of kilter. Not a tantrum, but like he's afraid that something bad is going to happen if things aren't just so.

Quoting oryxx31: Little kids thrive on routine, some more than others. I have a very routine oriented four year old that used to be much more rigid around two or three, to the point where for a couple of months, she didn't want to go do some of her favorite things because "kids might be there and they could be loud." She would even verbalized that she was nervous, didn't like it... We just took it slow and when she started school this September, after about a month it was just about gone. Good luck!

CStarz
by Rabble Rouser on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Kids in general tend to thrive on routine and some are more nervous than others. I wouldn't worry too much yet- I know it's a pain in the butt, sometimes they just freak out about things we don't understand.

I have a 7 yo with some anxiety- the therapist says might be borderline ocd and it can be challenging. This has been going on since the age of 3. We try to talk it out- about how somethings are worth worrying over and some just are not.

It's harder with a younger child obviously as he is limited in speech and being able to identify his feelings but try to be comforting to him when you see he's upset and re-assure him constantly that he is safe. Try to have a light tone in your voice and smile so he understands that you are ok. Hug him  a lot and reassure him. Maybe speak with the pediatrician or a play therapist?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:17 AM

That's exactly it. When he freaks out, it's not a tantrum like the pp was saying; but like he's scared and needs that one little detail righted to make his world right again.

Quoting Anonymous 3: My son was a lot like that at his age. One doctor insists it's anxiety but another diagnosed him as on the autism spectrum when he was 5. It does sound very much like anxiety though. He needs consistency to feel safe. If something is not consistent he feels unsafe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)