Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it possible??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies
Lately my house has just felt so small and.. idk I guess closed in. I'm starting to hate it :/
I'd love to make it feel roomier and more open, is that even possible without spending much? I know a large part of the problem is the layout of the house.
Honestly if we could move... I would, but we can't so just trying to make this place continue working!
And yes we've decluttered.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Pics would help if you want recommendations.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:04 PM
I would try to move some furniture around.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:04 PM
Change up how your furniture is. Our place was feeling the same so we moved everything around.
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:06 PM
Paint and declutter. I also put in hardwood floors.
momjeansrcool
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:07 PM

What colour are your walls and floors? Lighter colours open up a small space. Mirrors also help as well. 

gunsgirl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:07 PM

decluttering is nore than just straightening up,

take a good look at your living room to start, what is in it? what color are the walls and curtians?  how many pictures are on the walls? what are on your end tables, coffee tables?

having alot of stuff in the rooms will make them feel smaller, having dark curtains and blinds on the windows will make the room feel closed in.

a nice new coat of light colored paint will go along way!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:13 PM
Im not home right now and I'd have to upload a ton lol... I have a ridiculous looking picture I made with my sister in paint on my computer of the main floor lay out lol. It's horrible looking and obviously not to scale...

Quoting Anonymous 2: Yes. Pics would help if you want recommendations.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:15 PM

If every surface has something on it your house will continue to feel and look cluttered.  

At one point I purchased plastic tubs.  I packed everything I determined as not necessary or needed.  I put those plastic tubs in storage/garage shelves/mudroom wherever I could find a place the tubs were out of sight.

I refused to gather even one more thing.  Surprisingly at the end of a 6 month trial I donated 90% of the stuff in the tubs to our local thrift shops.  All of us have too much clutter and junk.

Picture of how your furniture is arranged would be very helpful.

Pictures of your kitchen help as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:16 PM
There's no where to move furniture in our living room :( one wall is a window, one wall has a fireplace in the middle with built in bookshelves and desks on each side. The other two walls have large doorways and in between those we have our sectional... The TV is in front of the window because we have no where else for it

Quoting Anonymous 3: I would try to move some furniture around.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:16 PM
There's no where to move it to with the living room layout.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Change up how your furniture is. Our place was feeling the same so we moved everything around.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)