Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is hitting me, what should I do ETA: thanks

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

My son, 21 months, has started a new thing where if I tell him no, he comes up to me and starts hitting/scratching me. I don't hit him back of course, but I firmly take his hands and say something like "we don't hit. It's not nice." and then he will throw himself on the floor and cry a bit. I walk away and let him calm down at that point (I don't leave the room or anything, just walk away from him).  I'm trying to teach him that behaviour is not okay. This is my first child. Any advice? 

ETA: Thank you for all your replies! I second guess myself a lot but from the sounds of it, I am handling it properly. Sorry I can't thank you all indivdually. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:30 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM
I had a friend whose child who did this and he stopped once he met another kid his age who did it back.

My kids were not like that when they were little, but now beat the crap out of each other.

Here's a bump for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Thanks for the bump. I have no idea where he learned that from, it just started happening out of nowhere. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I had a friend whose child who did this and he stopped once he met another kid his age who did it back. My kids were not like that when they were little, but now beat the crap out of each other. Here's a bump for you.

PJMM
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:39 PM
I would put ds immediately in the playpen and walk away. I'd tell him no hitting mom. My ex would slap his hand if ds hit him. He stopped quickly.
oliveoil423
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:40 PM
Does he go to daycare? Cause sometime kids at that age picks up on that stuff at day care. I tap the hand and say no we don't hit, if they kept it up they went to time out and faced the wall. My kids are 2 and 4.
SekiuFishing
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Just my opinion, but it sounds like you're handling it well.  He'll grow out of it in time, that age range for little ones can be interesting to say the least!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:42 PM
You're handling it well. Keep it consistent.
Careeka22
by Caitlin on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:45 PM

What you are doing is right. Say "ouch that hurts mommy!" and push his hands away and let him cry. My 2nd DD did this for a little while and that is all I did, if it persisited she got time out. She is 2 now and hasn't done it in forever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:46 PM
Everything you are already doing, plus puck him up and lay him down on the floor He's hitting you in an attempt to have/use some power. So when he hits, you take away his power by literally pulling his feet out from under him. No hurting him is involved here. When he hits, or better...right BEFORE he hits...pick him up around the torso/pits with one hand, swing his feet up with the other hand, and put him down on his bottom, sliding torso hand up to prevent a head bump. Then do your "no hitting" walk away thing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:54 PM

No, he does not go to daycare. We are not around little kids as often as we should be because we live so far away from our friends. I really should find him a play group or something. I have no clue where he could have learned it from, but I'm trying to nip it in the bud right away! 

Quoting oliveoil423: Does he go to daycare? Cause sometime kids at that age picks up on that stuff at day care. I tap the hand and say no we don't hit, if they kept it up they went to time out and faced the wall. My kids are 2 and 4.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)