Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No bereavement fares?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

Apparently airlines have done away with bereavement fares.... how sad.  My husband needs a flight on friday it is going to be so dang expensive.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:38 PM
Yeah they don't do that because too many people were taking advantage of it.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

fares

ZamilyMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:41 PM

You might want to edit your title to FARES:

fair

noun

1. travelling entertainment with sideshows, rides, etc, esp one that visits places at the same time each year
2. (Commerce) a gathering of producers of and dealers in a given class of products to facilitate business: book fair.
3. an event including amusements and the sale of goods, esp for a charity; bazaar
4. regular assembly at a specific place for the sale of goods, esp livestock
K3412
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:42 PM
Sure it may be sad, but airlines are businesses and they can't be in the practice of giving away things, even under unfortunate circumstances. I've never actually heard of any airline doing this in recent years. I'm surprised it was ever a thing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:44 PM
Some still do. But you pay full price up front, bring in proof, they will refund a portion. Check if they will do that for the airline you want to fly. That is what I had to do when my nephew was murdered and had no warning.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:44 PM

They should have. So many people were taking advantage of them... 

Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:45 PM
Have him call direct and speak to a person. A friend of mine had to fly from FL to PA on a bereavement fare, took a but of time but she for it done!
Traci_Momof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, they did away with those quite a while ago.  I recently had an uncle die who lived 2K miles away.  I didn't even look into going because I knew there was no way we could afford it.  It's just the way it is.

Though honestly, I think it makes sense to just do away with them.  When you think of it objectively, why should an airline give a discount just because a family member died?  I mean, if I'm driving 1,000 miles to get to the funeral, I don't get a discount on my gas.  KWIM?  Death of loved ones is something that always happens and we just do what we need to do.  It's not up to corporate America to accomodate us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:46 PM
This. Maybe his family can help foot the initial charge?

Quoting Anonymous 2: Some still do. But you pay full price up front, bring in proof, they will refund a portion. Check if they will do that for the airline you want to fly. That is what I had to do when my nephew was murdered and had no warning.
madamlunna213
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:48 PM
I was wondering what a bereavement fair was lol

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

fares

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)