Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why are some of you so disrespectful about names that are outside of your own culture?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
Why?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squeekers
by squeekers on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:23 PM

http://www.behindthename.com/glossary/view/name

It is not known when humans first began using names though the practice is certainly very old, probably extending far into prehistory. Our most ancient written texts and mythologies contain examples of names. Names almost always have an etymological meaning, implying that they were originally words.

Although all cultures use names, naming customs vary greatly from people to people. In some cases they are very simple, such as those of many Indonesians who use just a single name. On the other hand, traditional Chinese naming practices were very complex. Chinese males were given different names at various points in their lives, in addition to a family name and sometimes a generation name.

Names serve several purposes. Most importantly they help distinguish us from one another. Imagine how difficult it would be to refer to people if we did not use names. Instead of saying "Bob" one would have to say something like "the short red-headed man who lives down the street". Some names carry information about our roots, such as family or clan names, which are generally inherited. Names can serve other purposes as well, such as the Chinese generation name which identifies the generation of the bearer, or the names used by some African cultures which describe the order in which siblings were born.

lowencope
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:25 PM

What do you mean?

mmm2015
by Eldouchedegrande on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Outside of my culture?

Either I think a name is stupid or I don't.

it has nothing to do with my culture.

That being said, I rarely take an issue with names.

lowencope
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Very interesting!  Respectful too!!! clapping

Quoting squeekers:

http://www.behindthename.com/glossary/view/name

It is not known when humans first began using names though the practice is certainly very old, probably extending far into prehistory. Our most ancient written texts and mythologies contain examples of names. Names almost always have an etymological meaning, implying that they were originally words.

Although all cultures use names, naming customs vary greatly from people to people. In some cases they are very simple, such as those of many Indonesians who use just a single name. On the other hand, traditional Chinese naming practices were very complex. Chinese males were given different names at various points in their lives, in addition to a family name and sometimes a generation name.

Names serve several purposes. Most importantly they help distinguish us from one another. Imagine how difficult it would be to refer to people if we did not use names. Instead of saying "Bob" one would have to say something like "the short red-headed man who lives down the street". Some names carry information about our roots, such as family or clan names, which are generally inherited. Names can serve other purposes as well, such as the Chinese generation name which identifies the generation of the bearer, or the names used by some African cultures which describe the order in which siblings were born.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:28 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't think anyone has a Problem with names like Mohammed, Juan etc. It's when people start spelling names like Airwercka that there is a problem.
Trouser.Mouse
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:28 PM

I don't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Lately I've seen cultural names that aren't misspelled, being made fun of. I don't understand it.

Quoting MrsDavidB25: I don't think anyone has a Problem with names like Mohammed, Juan etc. It's when people start spelling names like Airwercka that there is a problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:34 PM
Ignorance
cueballsmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Cultural names, no problem. Mom is illiterate and thinks Caitlin is spelled Kaitlynn- yeah, I'm going to think you didn't graduate the 8th grade.
Mennonitemom2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:38 PM
I am a mutt so I use whatever names I feel have meaning. One side is Roman Jew the other is Chippewa Irish... I was raised Jewish/Christian/Mennonite... I gave my son's Hebrew names
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)