Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Came Home To A Halloween Surprise!

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 8:57 PM
  • 8 Replies

Our German Shepherd decided to have her puppies while we were gone, lol. Now they all have Halloween names. We have Jack, Sally, Victor, and Emily. We have been watching her like a hawk waiting for her to have the pups and she had to go and have them while we were out. I guess she did well on her own. She would have had our border collie mid-wifeing for her. She wasn't showing any signs of labor when we left the house but we were gone pretty much all day. I did check on her before we left to go trick or treating and there were no puppies and she wasn't acting different. They must have been born pretty quickly. I've never seen a dog give birth that fast. Our other dogs always took most of the day or night. 

Sorry no pictures though. 

by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Glitch202
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:00 PM

woohooWhat a wonderful surprise!  I hope all of the puppies are healthy!

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

They're all doing well. She's being a good mommy so far.

Quoting Glitch202:

woohooWhat a wonderful surprise!  I hope all of the puppies are healthy!

quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:17 PM

how many puppies?

VintageWife
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 9:31 PM

I wonder if she purposely held off. Maybe she was holding back a little bit until the kids were gone out of the house so it wouldn't be so stressful?

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Just four this time. Two boys and two girls. Usually we have had between 5 and 8. When my dad bred labs, he could easily get 12 to 14 in a litter. 

Quoting quinnsmom715:

how many puppies?

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2016 at 7:26 PM

That is a possibility. Usually our dogs will hold off until we are home because they want us with them. I try to be there just in case something goes wrong, especially for a first litter. Our husky gave birth with my 4 year old snuggled up next to her. My 4 year old is her person and they are insepratable. When she was in early labor, I brought her to sleep in the whelping box in our room and later I came in to check on her and found my 4 year old asleep in the box with her. We finally convinced her to sleep in her sleeping bag outside of the box. Cheyenne has been happy to let us handle the puppies.

Quoting VintageWife:

I wonder if she purposely held off. Maybe she was holding back a little bit until the kids were gone out of the house so it wouldn't be so stressful?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 2, 2016 at 7:26 PM
Thats so sad

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Just four this time. Two boys and two girls. Usually we have had between 5 and 8. When my dad bred labs, he could easily get 12 to 14 in a litter. 

Quoting quinnsmom715:

how many puppies?

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Why is it sad?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thats so sad
Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Quoting quinnsmom715:

how many puppies?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)