Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is there a way

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
Ds is 2 and climbs into bed with me nightly. I've tried rewarding him on the rare occasions I can get him to stay in his own room. I know I need to bring him back and put him in his own bed, but I don't even wake up to him climbing in my bed. It's not until he's asleep and kicking me that I wake up. I can shift him slowly without waking him, but if I lift him he wakes and if I wake him he's up for hours. How can I get him to stay in his bed despite these issues or am I doomed until he's older and more capable of being punished? (And yes I realize he's old enough for discipline such as if he hits or spits he gets time outs etc. I just don't think he will get the correlation between not staying in bed and missing something fun like paw patrol)
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:20 AM
My DD was still in a crib in her own room at 2.

Bump.
ms_amanda
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:23 AM
At 2, I just left it alone and lived with it lol mostly because I love sleep and moving her would jeopardize my chances of getting all the sleep coming to me!

I never put my dd to sleep in our bed though. No matter how she adorably pleaded lol

She's 3 now and sleeps in her own bed 95% of the time. They grow out of this phase!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:28 AM
I have three older kids who didn't do this within a week of moving from our beds to their own, but this kids wants to be attached to me. I had to forcefully wean him off nursing a month after his second birthday because it got uncomfortable for me. He's the longest I weaned and would have happily gone until he was 3 or 4 I'm sure.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:32 AM
He never did take to a crib. A month before weaning him from nursing I tried to put him in his crib to make the transition easier, but he wouldn't have it. One night I tried him in his 4 year old sisters toddler bed and he went in it fine. Even slept the night without waking up for a few nights straight. After that he started waking up before I'd gone to bed so I'd put him back and he'd be fine. Then he started waking after I'd gone to bed and that's where we are stuck...

Quoting KendallsMommee: My DD was still in a crib in her own room at 2.

Bump.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:38 AM
Wow. My DD was the opposite. She slept in a crib from 6 weeks to almost 4 years. We bought her a toddler bed when she turned 2 but refused to sleep in it. We never had issues with her trying to climb out of the crib or anything.

Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous 1: He never did take to a crib. A month before weaning him from nursing I tried to put him in his crib to make the transition easier, but he wouldn't have it. One night I tried him in his 4 year old sisters toddler bed and he went in it fine. Even slept the night without waking up for a few nights straight. After that he started waking up before I'd gone to bed so I'd put him back and he'd be fine. Then he started waking after I'd gone to bed and that's where we are stuck...

Quoting KendallsMommee: My DD was still in a crib in her own room at 2.

Bump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:42 AM

I've been there! Here's what I did.

I put ds's crib mattress in the floor in my room, and told him it was his "little" bed. I also told him how cool it was that he got to have a bed in his room and one in my room, I didn't know anyone else who had two beds. I told him he had to start out in his bedroom every night, and he had to stay there for a while, but if he needed to, he could come sleep in his little bed.

He started coming into our room and laying down on the crib mattress, instead of getting into my bed. He always came in somewhere between two and four am, and the best part was, he never intentionally woke me when he came in.

Ds is almost eight now, and he used the little bed from ages two until six. I never worried about kicking him out, I mean, he wasn't disturbing my or dh's sleep, and he came in so late that he never witnessed or interrupted "adult time." He just eventually stopped on his own. 

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:44 AM
If you just recently weaned him I would move slowly with kicking him out of your bed.. he may be feeling a little insecure right now
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:46 AM
He weaned in August.

Quoting Anonymous 3: If you just recently weaned him I would move slowly with kicking him out of your bed.. he may be feeling a little insecure right now
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:56 AM
My kids are 4 and 6 and still do this from time to time. I'm a lazy ass if you wake me up in the middle of the night and super cranky. So I deal. But it did get better as they got older.

Quoting ms_amanda: At 2, I just left it alone and lived with it lol mostly because I love sleep and moving her would jeopardize my chances of getting all the sleep coming to me!

I never put my dd to sleep in our bed though. No matter how she adorably pleaded lol

She's 3 now and sleeps in her own bed 95% of the time. They grow out of this phase!
Jojobug13
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:59 AM
I don't do kids in my bed but here's a bump. If you don't let it start, you don't have to make it stop. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)