• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

RIP Leonard Cohen

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:21 AM
  • 10 Replies

We lost another great musician in a year full of such awful losses.

I've been a fan of Leonard Cohen for as long as I can remember. His was a truly unique voice, a bass singer who refused to accept that deep voices are meant only for the chorus, and not the lead; who proved to us all that not having the perfect tenor voice was not only no obstacle, but a thing of joy and beauty indeed.

He wrote and recorded one of the handful of songs that are true classics of music in general and not just pop music: the beautiful "Hallelujah," a song that holds the record as the most covered song in rock history (most notably by the late Jeff Buckley). Many people will no doubt be sharing that song in the coming days as proof of his genius...but I am choosing to share one that is not only one of my favorite songs of all time (and one of three songs I want played at my own funeral), but one that I think speaks directly to this moment:

RIP, Leonard Cohen. You will be missed. Hallelujah. 

by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SommelierMom
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:26 AM
The
Fucking
Worst
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:30 AM

I can't get jiggy with this shit.

AngelSinger
by Angel on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:40 AM
1 mom liked this

The lyrics to "If It Be Your Will":

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:44 AM
1 mom liked this
RIP
Everybody Knows is my favorite song of his. And fitting for this moment in time.
AngelSinger
by Angel on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:46 AM

Here is Leonard Cohen singing his most famous and beloved song live in 2009. I saw this entire concert on PBS a few years ago, and was blown away by the emotion and presence in his performance, unsullied by age and human frailty. I regret never having the opportunity to see him perform live myself.

Leonard Cohen, David Bowie and Prince: what talent the world has lost this year...

AngelSinger
by Angel on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:53 AM

Agreed. It's a beautiful song.

"Everybody Knows" and "If It Be Your Will" were both featured in one of my favorite 90's films, the terribly underrated "Pump Up the Volume" (starring Christian Slater as a pirate radio show host exposing corruption in his high school; "Everybody Knows" was the theme to his show, and is covered by Concrete Blonde in the final scene...it had one of the best soundtracks of the early 90's.) I think I will watch it again later in his memory.

He also sang the opening song for the movie "Natural Born Killers," the appropriately haunting tune "Waiting For the Miracle." 

Quoting Anonymous 2: RIP Everybody Knows is my favorite song of his. And fitting for this moment in time.

AngelSinger
by Angel on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:55 AM

AngelSinger
by Angel on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:16 AM

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:18 AM
No idea who that is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nellyoleson
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:48 AM
Love him. I thought he just put out a new album too. Sad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)