Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

are your friends bad pet owners?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

So this family I know (part of extended family) has four cats.  Two of the cats are older outdoor cats they've had since the kids were babies.  The other two cats they got at their two kids insistence and both these cats are exclusively indoor pets.  The first one they got at the animal shelter "Mimi"  Mimi has always been skittish and shy and never really bonded to anyone in the family. So then they got another cat from a breeder, a 700 dollar Maine Coone cat they named Mittens.  

Anyway, I guess there have been some issues with one of the cats peeing in the laundry basket.  They assumed it was Mimi so the father took her and walked like half a mile from the house and dropped her off in the woods.  He said he thought she would just 'do her business outside and find her way back to the house.'  Well, Mimi never came back (this is a cat who has never been outside!) and lo and behold someone is still peeing in the laundry basket.  Obviously it is Mittens, the purebred Maine Coone.  But do they drop him off in the woods?  Of course not! 

I've always liked these people and though not the best or most educated pet owners, they always seemed to be fairly responsible.  They take their animals to the vet once a year and everything.  So I'm not sure what to think about this.  

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:18 AM
Your friends are assholes
K3412
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:20 AM
What is there really for you to "think?" Abandoning an animal certainly isn't right or good, but there's nothing you can do to prove it. You can't report them, and it doesn't sound like they are actively abusing the ones they have now.

We always had outdoor farm cats growing up. We have them food and water but that was about it. We didn't baby them or coddle them for years.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:21 AM

that was my first thought, but I am also shocked by what they did!  the poor cat was probably eaten by something.  she is too unfriendly to let a stranger catch her.  it's been about three weeks since they dumped her

Quoting Anonymous: Your friends are assholes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:22 AM

i have no intention of reporting them.  it just makes me lose respect for them.  barn cats are one thing, this was an indoor cat they unfairly dumped 

Quoting K3412: What is there really for you to "think?" Abandoning an animal certainly isn't right or good, but there's nothing you can do to prove it. You can't report them, and it doesn't sound like they are actively abusing the ones they have now. We always had outdoor farm cats growing up. We have them food and water but that was about it. We didn't baby them or coddle them for years.

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:25 AM
I hope mimi found a home that loves her and they need to take the Maine coon to the vet as a formerly litter box trained cat peeing outside the litter box is s huge red flag!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:27 AM
Poor Mimi. I hope Mittens keeps peeing on their clothes. They deserve it and then some.
Masterchefmom
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:28 AM

I wouldnt be friends with people like that and I would have reported anyone who did that in a heart beat. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)